Inept
Silent Starter
  • 0
  • 3
  • 0
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

ST300 Wifi setup not working (app & alt)

I recently got a Netgear Orbi wifi mesh system, and simplified my wifi setup. However, I am unable to get my SoundTouch 300 to connect to it.

 

When I try updating the wifi using the app, it gets to the point where it connects to the speaker over wifi, and then tells me there is a bit more configuration to do. After that, it goes back to the product selection list and the whole thing repeats.

 

When I try using the alternative setup method, I connect my laptop to the speaker wifi and open the page to put in a wifi SSID and password, I see my wifi SSID twice (I assume that's 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz) but after putting in the password it spends some time working, then just shows me a refresh arrow or an X on the screen with no explanation, and the speaker never connects.

 

I've also tried plugging it in to the router with a cable, which allows me to update the firmware in the app, but still doesn't allow me to succesfully connect it to wifi.

 

I've also tried to do a factory reset on it, and removed it from my soundtouch app on the phone to re-add it.

Unfortunately I don't have a wired connection access point to connect it to by the TV, or I would just do that.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
  • 0
  • 175
  • 7
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: ST300 Wifi setup not working (app & alt)

Hello Inept, 

Thank you for contacting the community! I will do what I can to help. 

If you have any Wi-Fi extenders. remove all extenders and try to connect directly to the main hub/router. Then try to do the setup again.

If you have further issues, contact our technical support team who will be able to guide you through the setup process.
follow this link: https://global.bose.com/en_us/index.html  select your country and scroll down to "contact us" to get the contact details. 

If you have any questions please do get back in touch! 

Kind regards 
Liam - Community Support

Highlighted
Inept
Silent Starter
  • 0
  • 3
  • 0
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: ST300 Wifi setup not working (app & alt)

I snooped on the browser traffic when attempting to change the connection on my laptop, which has yielded more interesting information.

 

First, there is a POST to http://192.0.2.1:8090/addWirelessProfile which includes the SSID and the password:

<AddWirelessProfile><profile ssid="..." password="..." securityType="wpa_or_wpa2" ></profile></AddWirelessProfile>

 

This results in an internal error (500) response with:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?><errors deviceID="..."><error value="1035" name="WIFI_PROFILE_SETUP_FAILED" severity="Unknown">SSID_NOT_FOUND</error>...

 

However, I noticed that the response to http://192.0.2.1:8090/performWirelessSiteSurvey converted the & in the wifi name to "&amp;" while the request to change it left it unencoded. If I remade the request with the name of the network encoded like the response, I get back a 200 OK (although I'm not sure what calls I could/should be making after this). It seems like the alternative setup method webpage does not correctly deal with escaped characters.

 

The downside is that most of my systems are set up to talk to a SSID with an & in the name already, so between the app never wanting to go to the setup screen and the alternative setup page being broken, I'm in a pickle. Maybe I can fix the javascript on the page in my browser.

Highlighted
Inept
Silent Starter
  • 0
  • 3
  • 0
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: ST300 Wifi setup not working (app & alt)

Update: Turns out redoing the POST request with the correctly encoded & fixed my issue and it just took the soundtouch a moment to connect.