Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Oct 24, 2016

ST300 alternate setup to play sound from HDMI IN

Hi all

I just got a new ST300 and tried to set it up yesterday, without success.

I thought I would just have to but the ST300 in between my TV Box and my TV, plugging the TV Box in the HDMI IN and the TV in the HDMI OUT. My TV is quite old so no HDMI ARC and no Optical audio out.

That did not work though, as I only had sound coming from the TV, nothing from the soundbar.

I've read in the owner's manual (page 42), that such an alternate setup should be possible (I would have thought this would be a normal setup, not alternate, but whatever...). The procedure included going in the ST app and enabling an option to "play surround sound from HDMI IN" (not the exact phrasing, but I'm not at home right now).

I activated this option but it resulted in no audio nor video at all.

Should my setup work ? If yes, what have I done wrong ?

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 1, 2016

Re: ST300 alternate setup to play sound from HDMI IN

Author Accepted Answer selected by thewild

Hi,

This setup should work as it is what I am using as I also have an older LCD TV without ARC or optical output.

My TV box is a Sky Q one and I have that set to send sound by HDMI and then I "think" I had to make a change using the SoundTouch app for the ST300 - look in advanced settings or similar - not home so can't check properly now.

I also set up Bose remote to control Sky on one of the presets and have to press that button to switch the source - check that first as it may be that simple for you to get audio working.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 1, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by thewild

Hi,

This setup should work as it is what I am using as I also have an older LCD TV without ARC or optical output.

My TV box is a Sky Q one and I have that set to send sound by HDMI and then I "think" I had to make a change using the SoundTouch app for the ST300 - look in advanced settings or similar - not home so can't check properly now.

I also set up Bose remote to control Sky on one of the presets and have to press that button to switch the source - check that first as it may be that simple for you to get audio working.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Oct 24, 2016

Hi, thanks a lot for your answer. Glad to know I won't have to change my TV !

I think I'm a bit confused about this "source" stuff on the ST300 indeed.

Intuitively, I would have thought that only 4 sources should be available : Soundtouch app (anything like music library, spotify, etc.), Bluetooth, Aux, and HDMI.

I thought that the "sources" on the remote where only meant to tell the remote which device it should send IR codes to ?

I'm not really getting it, but I'll give it another try ASAP.

I'm very relieved that this setup works though ! Thanks !

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Oct 24, 2016

It seems this setup does not work.

It works with some devices (a WDTV Live for instance), but not with my TV Box.

I get no sound and no image when I plug it in the ST300's HDMI IN.

What could be wrong ? I checked in the TV Box setup and have not seen any option that could have any impact on the HDMI output.

For information the TV Box is a Voocorder from Voo (Belgium). It's a rebranded Cisco TV box.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 1, 2016

Sorry but I'm not familiar with that TV Box at all ...

Just to check things though, have you assigned the input button in the SoundTouch app and have definately pressed this to switch both audio & video via the ST300? I mean the ST300 isn't switch on ST mode or BT etc.

Apart from that I am out of ideas as quite new to all this and just learnign how to get things working myself.

Good luck

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Oct 24, 2016

@v1cjg wrote:
Just to check things though, have you assigned the input button in the SoundTouch app and have definately pressed this to switch both audio & video via the ST300? I mean the ST300 isn't switch on ST mode or BT etc.

Yes the source was good, I did have image and surround sound when using the WDTV Live that is on the same switch. So the setup is OK, but the ST300 and the TV Box don't seem to understand each other.

Following advices received on another forum, I'll try to plug the TV Box directly in the soundbar to see if the problem could come from the switch. I'll also try with different HDMI cables.

I'll update this thread in case of success.

Thanks for your help !

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 1, 2016

@thewild wrote:

@v1cjg wrote:

Yes the source was good, I did have image and surround sound when using the WDTV Live that is on the same switch. So the setup is OK, but the ST300 and the TV Box don't seem to understand each other.

Following advices received on another forum, I'll try to plug the TV Box directly in the soundbar to see if the problem could come from the switch. I'll also try with different HDMI cables.

I'll update this thread in case of success.

Thanks for your help !

Aaaahhh I didn't realise you using a HDMI switch .. I'd definately remove that and test directly first to make sure all works. Then re-introduce the switch and test again.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Oct 24, 2016

Indeed, but I'm not optimistic since the WDTV Live works well through the switch.

I'll try it anyway just to make sure.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Oct 24, 2016

Just an update to let you know that everything now works correctly.

The setup was OK so I don't know what went wrong. I just unplugged and switched off everything, then replugged with care and switched on.

It just works  Everything is on the switch.

I think I now understand he "source selection" problem. Basically this setup is meant to connect a single device to the soundbar (probably with other devices connected to the TV set and passing audio through ARC or Optical). So this device should have it's own source configured on the remote.

In my case, there is a switch and multiple devices, so it's make it cumbersone to use the remote with secondary devices. I have my TV box remote configured on the source I use for HDMI IN because that's what I use the most, but if I use the WDTV Live I can't use the universal remote. It's on another source, and siwtching to it on the remote turns off the sound.

I guess this is needed in case there is a single device attached to the HDMI IN, in wich case the ST300 needs to know when to use HDMI IN and when to use ARC/Optical.

Well, I guess I can live with it.

Thanks for your help !