Highlighted
KRAZY-K
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 3, 2018

ST300 video issues since Nov 19th update

Since the Nov 19 update I have been seeing an odd problem with my video playback.  I get an occational "flash" from the picture.. just a frame or two, flash of distortion - then it goes back to normal.  Problem is this flash happens every few minutes - even multiple times a minute sometimes.  I noticed that the update came with some 4k video improvements.. so that leads me to believe this is a new bug that came with the update.. hopefully not a hardware issue with my soundbar.  Anyone else seeing this?

I troubleshot my entire setup - I know for sure it is the SoundTouch 300 causing the video issue.

13 REPLIES 13
KRAZY-K
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 3, 2018

Re: ST300 video issues since Nov 19th update

bump

KRAZY-K
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 3, 2018

Alright, anyone know how to easily roll back my firmware to w/e the previous build was? Pre- Nov 19 update?

Community Manager

Hi KRAZY-K,

Thanks for writing in!  Sorry to hear about the video issues, but would be happy to help!

• Just wanted to confirm, the blinking video, was this on a particular source?  Also, is this particular source using the HDMI pass through?
  • The updated only affected the HDMI pass through for the soundbar.  
  • Also, what are the troubleshooting steps you've performed already?

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

KRAZY-K
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 3, 2018

Hey Tony,

Here is how I run my setup, and yes this is all related to HDMI pass through I believe:

Nvidia Shield TV / PS4 / XBOX / ect -> 4k HDMI Switch -> Bose ST300 -> 4k Projector

My first thought was it was probably the projector, so I turned on only the projector with no source and let it sit at the menu for a few minutes, no flashing.

So I thought it might be the HDMI switch, so I hooked up my source (Shield TV) the soundbar directly and still got the flashing - so its not the switch.

Next I hooked up the source directly to the projector, bypassing the ST300.  No flashing

I also tried different HDMI cables for input on the ST300, still have flashing.

I did a factory reset on my ST300 last night, still have flashing.

I never noticed this until the recent SW update - and seeing how there was an update to the HDMI pass through it makes me wonder.  I did see the "green bar" on the side of the screen occasionally (which is what the update fixed), but it was never a big deal for me because I would just switch the source and then switch back, or power off the sound bar and back on, and it would go away.  I guess the point of saying all that is - I would be happy to go back to the previous build and deal with the green bar if the flashing goes away.

Community Manager

Hi KRAZY-K,

Thanks for the update.  This certainly does sound like an issue with the HDMI pass through on the soundbar.  Unfortunately, we don't have a way of rolling back the software to a previous version.  I'm going to escalate this further to our development team to see if they have any further insight on what could be causing this.  

Could you also provide us the make/model of the switch as well as the projector?

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

KRAZY-K
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 3, 2018

Hey Tony,

The switch is: 

VORKE HD41 Pro 4x1 4k2k @ 60Hz HDMI Switch

Projector is:

Optoma uhd60 UHD 4K DLP projector

That is very concerning that there is no way to roll back the software.  The soundbar is less than a year old - but I probably dont have a good way of getting it serviced or exchanged in my current living situation.  Currently stationed in Italy and the ST300 and AC300 were purchased at MediaWorld here in Italy.  

I guess a workaround for now would be to get a HDMI splitter that can split out TOSLINK audio to the soundbar and pass the video to the projector.  bypassing the ST300 video pass through all together - but thats not ideal.. and kind of crazy for a premium soundbar like this.

Community Manager

Hi KRAZY-K,

Thanks for providing those details and I'll add them to the ticket we have open with the development team.  As soon as I hear back, I'll be sure to update you on the status.

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

KRAZY-K
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 3, 2018

Just to follow up.. I hooked up a HDMI splitter to bypass the ST300 HDMI passthrough entirely.. just running optical audio to the Bose SoundTouch.  No more flashing - but the downside for me is my HDMI splitter workaround cant pass 4k@60 it can only do 4k@30.  So I will be looking forward to a fix from the dev team - or a way to roll back my SW.

Thanks again!

Community Manager

Hi KRAZY-K,

The development team has reached back out to find if you were able to try and disable CEC settings in the different devices as well as the SoundTouch 300.  For the soundbar, please navigate to the system settings and you should be able to change it to either alternate on and off.  Let's see if changing these will help with the flashing images.  Also, if it's possible to take a video of the issue, I can provide a link for the upload.

Warm Regards,

Tony A