Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 6, 2016

STILL No HDCP 2.2 Support

My question is - when is Bose going to catch up to the competition and offer tech with HDCP 2.2 support? I've been a Bose owner since 1995 (901 Series VI) and fondly remember the days when Bose was known for innovation. The HDCP 2.2 spec was released in Feb 2013 (3+ years ago) and yet, to date, Bose has exactly zero (0) products that support this spec, making all of their existing home theater systems obsolete. PS - a workaround using an audio cable is not adequate as has been suggested in the Community Forums. Spending thousands for your current models shouldn't require a workaround for industry standards.
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: STILL No HDCP 2.2 Support

Unfortunately, we are not able to discuss future products or their potential features.  With that being said, here is some information on the current versions of SoundTouch home theater systems and 4K compatibility:
While technically the systems are 4K compatible, they do only support HDCP 2.1 and not 2.2.  HDCP 2.1 cannot be firmware updated to HDCP 2.2.  Additionally, HDCP 2.2 was designed to not be backwards compatible with 2.1.
It is certainly the case that many newer devices require that all connected HDMI products support HDCP 2.2 to pass 4K video.  This does create a problem for the SoundTouch system’s console and prevents its ability to pass video from these sources.  For this reason, we recommend that existing owners connect their 4K sources directly to the TV with HDMI and output the TV’s audio through a digital audio connection to allow the Bose system to reproduce the Dolby Digital or DTS formatted surround sound. 
As you can imagine, there can be a period of time between when a product is developed and when it is finally available for sale.  Traditionally, we have designed products to work with the newest technologies when those technologies become an industry standard. In this case HDCP 2.2 became more widely adopted as an industry standard over the past year or so since the currenty generation of products became available for sale.
We apologize for this situation and encourage you to stay tuned for new product announcements that will always be available first on Bose.com
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 3, 2016

I have to admit this has been pretty frustrating to me too, having dropped a considerable chunk of change into a 520 and installation and being told it's not compatible with HDCP 2.2.  I talked to my local store in Concord, NC and received assurances that when (unknown time) systems that are compatible with HDCP 2.2 come out they will work with me.  In the meantime I tried everything, including splitting teh signal with what is supposed to be a 2.2 compatible splitter to no avail.  What finally worked, after amassing a collection of various splitting devices was a device I bought called a "Blackbird 4K Pro HDCP Converter, 2.2 to 1.4", hooked it up, and voila, my Samsung UN55JS9000FXZA and DirecTV genie could actually communicate with each other.  It's the technical equivalent of putting bias play tires on a Lamborghini, but it worked.  So while I wait for Bose to catch up with the rest of the market, I will enjoy this imperfect fix.
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

HDMI 2.2
George Wrote:
>While technically the systems are 4K compatible, they do only support HDCP 2.1 and not 2.2.  HDCP 2.1 cannot be firmware updated to HDCP 2.2.  Additionally, HDCP 2.2 was designed to not be backwards compatible with 2.1.
So thats, that for the SoundTouch 520 / 130 series and firmware updates. I am done with optical anyway and look forward to eventually playing 4K content via streaming.  Does anyone know if 4K streaming is effected by these ever evolving HDCP standards?