Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Edmond Dantès
Participant
Registered since

Feb 13, 2017

Setting up a Synology NAS for SoundTouch on a Mac

Dear community,

it took me a while to figure out how to setup my Synology NAS for use with my Soundtouch speakers and my Mac, so I though I would share my experience with you. I will skip the basic setup, since this is pretty well documented on the web.

Hardware: Synology DS214se (with 2 x 2TB WD Red), Soundtouch 20, 2 x Soundtouch 10, Apple Airport Extreme AC, MacBook Air, iPhone

1. Install and setup the following packages on your Synology NAS:

Audio Station

Media Server

iTunes Server

2. Mount your music folder on your Mac with SMB (not AFP) and copy your iTunes folder to your NAS (connect through Ethernet if possible to save time)

3. Add your mounted music folder as a login item on your Mac, so it is mounted every time you boot up
(System Preferences --> Users & Groups --> Login Items --> drag & drop the folder to this window) 

3. Point iTunes on your Mac to the mounted music folder

(preferences --> advanced ---> Change --> select your mounted folder music folder by selecting nasname.local under share)

4. Wait for Synology Media Server to index your music files

5. In the Soundtouch App go to the menu and add your music library on NAS

Add Services --> Music Library on NAS --> Add Music Library

6. Install the DS Audio app to create playlists which are then visible from the SoundTouch app. You can also assign playlists to the hardware preset buttons.

You can now use your Soundtouch App to play music from your NAS while continuing to use iTunes to manage your library. If you use multiple iTunes clients to access your NAS, it is highly recommended to use "shared libraries" on all but your main device. 

Things that don't work:

- Search by album and artist in SoundTouch app returns error (!)

- SoundTouch app doesn't differentiate between files and folders

- No scrollbar in SoundTouch app lists

- Playlists need to be added in Synology DS Audio app

Hope this was useful to someone!

4 REPLIES 4
Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Re: Setting up a Synology NAS for SoundTouch on a Mac

Hi Edmond, 

Thank you for sharing this! 

Regards,

Brent 

Drobertsatplay
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 5, 2017

So for the issues that have been flagged by this end user that do not work, what is the timeline to have a fix in place to resolve them?

Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Drobertsatplay,

Thanks for the question.  I'm getting those complications escalated to the engineers to see if the changes can be implemented on our end, or if this is an issue with the Synology Music Server not properly broadcasting the music library data to our app.

Thanks,

Brandon

Drobertsatplay
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 5, 2017

@Brandon_M wrote:

" I'm getting those complications escalated to the engineers to see if the changes can be implemented on our end..."

So am I to understand then that since this issue was flagged back in February 2017 that you are only now escalating the issue? Are you just getting to this now in September ?

"or if this is an issue with the Synology Music Server not properly broadcasting the music library data to our app."

So after seven months, you can't say whether it's the former or the latter?

I do appreciate the reply, but with respect, it is vague in terms of whether or not a fix will even be forthcoming. This lack of urgency is surprising and not what I would expect from a company with the resources of Bose.

As someone who works in technology and understands the iterative nature of software development, agility and speed in being responsive to a not unreasonable customer request matters.  Can you be more forthcoming and honest as to when these deficiencies will be addressed? I'm sure that I'm not the only one wondering.