mdobdomdo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 10, 2016

Simple problem: music library sync does not show me all my music

Hi,
I have a PC with Windows 10.  Two hard drives: C and D.  On D I have a directory called "Music".  My directory on C called "My Music" is empty.  It has nearly 1400 songs taking nearly 8GB.  I have 1 SoundTouch 20 Series 3 and am planning to buy a 30 shortly.  Installed about a week ago.  Love the sound and the app in general is fine. 
I have a small network including two desktop PCs, two portable PCs and a couple of smartphones all connected via Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable. 
My problem is simply that I do not see all my music in the Bose app.  I created a playlist (.m3u) using VLC media player but it does not appear on the list of playlists.  Even some of the songs do not appear at all. 
It would really help if Bose would be really specific and clear about several technical issues:
1. How does the app choose which directories it will search for music?  Does it look through the entire set of hard disks looking for mp3s etc. or does it only look as certain directories?   What are the exact selection criteria?  
2. Once a directory meets the criteria, does it go down into each sub-directory?   Is the search limited to only a certain number of sub directories? 
3. What playlist files does it recognize?  m3u? Others? 
4. Does it really synchronize every 15 minutes?   Seems like it does not for me. 
5. Can I manually synchronize?
6. Can I see the index that Bose has created somehow?
7. What possible problems might cause my music to be ignored by the sync program?
If the above information is available somewhere in the documentation please let me know where.  Thanks very much.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
mdobdomdo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 10, 2016

Re: Simple problem: music library sync does not show me all my music

Hi George,
That answer was wonderful.  Cleared up my misunderstandings so now I know how the interface actually works.  Super.
Very quickly I recreated my WMP library and voila, there was all my music.  Thanks again.   Mike

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Hi Geneva Mike,
We will try to clarify the points you are asking about and answer your questions in order below.
When you add a music library from your computer, you select to use either iTunes or Windows Media Player as the basis for your library. SoundTouch will then use the Index file for whichever program you select in order to find and access your music. 

1. Songs and playlists which have been imported to WMP or iTunes will show up in SoundTouch as long as they are stored on the local hard drive. If content is not appearing in SoundTouch, go back to this software first and make sure that same content has been added.  
  2. As above, whichever directories are indexed in your music management software will also be available for SoundTouch to find.
  3. Both M3u and ITL files should be acceptable formats for playlists. It is advisable to create the playlist within iTunes/WMP to make sure that all file associations match the index.
  4. The SoundTouch music server also runs in the background to access and update this index. It does search for and update changes at regular intervals.
  5. In the latest version of the music server, this cannot be synced manually. This was an option previously but rarely one that resolved issues such as the one you describe.
  6. This index file is typically available in the program folder of iTunes/WMP, however we do not suggest modifying it manually.
  7. IF your music is added and playable within iTunes/WMP then this is the real question we should be tacking. We will provide some possibilities below:
    1. Incompatible file format. SoundTouch can only parse file types listed here: (http://Supported file formats https://www.soundtouch.com/KnowledgeCenterView#!/feedtype=SINGLE_ARTIC...
    2. Song files with DRM - in a previous era, the iTunes stores and many other music retailers embedded copyright protection directly in their music files. These type of files will not be playable on SoundTouch.  In iTunes these song files would generally be marked as "Protected AAC" in the "type" column.
    3. Songs downloaded from Apple Music have the same issue as #2.
    4. Music stored on a USB drive, Network drive or cloud service (such as iCloud). This is not an issue in your case as you have mentioned all music is stored on the computer's D:\ drive.
    5. Music files with symbols or non-latin characters in their file-name or artist/album/track information may not show up in your library.

Hope this helps you narrow down and solve your problem. Thank you. 
Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
mdobdomdo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 10, 2016

Hi George,
That answer was wonderful.  Cleared up my misunderstandings so now I know how the interface actually works.  Super.
Very quickly I recreated my WMP library and voila, there was all my music.  Thanks again.   Mike

View solution in original post