cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cg
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

Smartthing Not playing Audio Notifications (after 16.0.9 update?)

I do not understand and am working with ST support as well, why the audio notifications are not consistent (works about 5-10% of the time) as it was previously (100% of the time) for months.  Audio notifcations were working just fine as I said using the Speaker Companion Smartapp, everything else in my ecosystem, network, has not changed to my knowledge in recent history, the only change is the Bose Soundtouch update that happened.  Tried calling Bose tech support to roll back firmware and see if indeed that is what is was via the service USB port, but they couldn't help (not sure if even able to roll back fw version), but that would be a great datapoint for getting to the bottom of this.

I have aleady done troubleshooting within my control (computer/network engineer by trade) and believe that unless I missed something or it's harware related, which I doubt, that somewhere in the interface between Bose and Smartthings has broken, possibly since the fw update.

I have Google Homes all over my home prior to this and my primary reason was for audio notifications for Smartthings why I purchased this speaker specifically.

Anyone else use this as an announcer experiencing the same issues?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lee_sangsu
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 2, 2017

Re: Smartthing Not playing Audio Notifications (after 16.0.9 update?)

Author Accepted Answer selected by Brandon_M

Hi,

I am Samsung developer.

During last week, I have same problem.

I checked audio notification is working.

But after some hours (8hr, 10hr), it is not working.

Then after some hours(3hr, 5hr), it is change to working.

There are no network change.

To check this problem, I capture network packet.

At normal case, See below link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FNVIyobTAa-0fT8f8G6onnKRBAjYOIIl/view?usp=sharing

At problem case, See below link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1frixIPYNnBOMXnGAXz4qTmLP5E9RKGIN/view?usp=sharing

Can you check why there are some error ?

If you need more information, let me know.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi cg, 

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this. Thank you for such a well detailed post. You are correct in that we don't have a good way to roll back to a previous version. From your conversation with SmartThings do they think the issue could be on their end? Can you let us know which troubleshooting steps you took? We'd be happy to escalate this up on our end, but I'm sure the software team's first question will be to ask what has been tried. Please let us know! 

Kind Regards

cg
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

I am much appreciative for the response.  I know I am in a precarious position, where an issue can lie either, on Bose, Smartthings, or end user side of things - and it is easy for all to point fingers to each as the source of the issue and never get anywhere near to a solution, so again I am happy for your engagement.

I have personally at first removed and added to the Smartthings Hub the Soundtouch, then I created another instance of the Speaker Companion App, not wanting to have to remove all my audio notifications (which I had a good number of), which I ended up doing anyway and starting from scratch.  From the network side of things, I removed the Soundtouch from my network by factory resetting and then adding ot both on the 2.4 and 5.0 networks, both producing same results.  Also left the speaker unplugged overnight.  Tried to force update again the firmware via the webpage/USB service connection.  Naturally I have, rebooted and unplugged Smartthings hub (removing batteries, AC, and network cable) waited 5 min, also rebooted cable mode, network router/AP, and switches.

The folllowing in quotes was the last I received from Smartthings Support, last communication received last Friday - please note, that since this last communication and following Smartthings recommendation, there is still inconsistent audio notifications, however it sometimes it appears that it works at times a bit more often than before, but still not as it was previously, when it would work pretty much 100% of the time:

"Thank you for getting back to me on this.

I have some news on this issue, and I apologize this was not surfaced previously.

The Bose cloud infrastructure (maintained by Bose) had an issue on Wednesday (10-25-2017) that started at 9AM and lasted until 3PM. The issue was related to the connection between their Bose cloud system and SmartThings cloud system. So when SmartThings sent the notification from SmartThings cloud over to the Bose cloud, the Bose cloud did not send the notification down to the speaker. This is why the notifications were not working and then started working again by themselves after they reported having fixed it. WHy it did not continue to work is a mystery, and might be the integration is just somewhat broken and needing it re-integrated, we are not able to see Bose systems, and therefore we can not confirm the exact issue.

Bose has reported to us that the issue is resolved at this point, and the notifications should work now. But if not, I would encourage you to remove the Bose integration (which will remove that Bose speaker from all the Speaker Companion Smart Apps) and then add it back in. The Speaker companion Smart Apps should still remain (but no guarantee), but the Bose speaker will have been removed from the Speaker companion smart app, and you will have to go back into each one and add the Bose speaker back into each of them manually after you re-integrate Bose. Because of this, it might be easier to note all the Speaker Companion Smart Apps and how they are setup currently, and then remove them all, and remove the Bose integration. Then set it all back up again."

Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi cg, 

Thank you for responding and once again for providing such great detail. If the audio notifications were previously working almost 100% of the time, what percentage would you say they are working now? Have you responded to let SmartThings know that the issue is only half resolved? Has it improved at all since your post here on Tuesday? I'm curious if another round of resets may help to re-align everything and get the notifications restored to full functionality. Do you notice one particular notification failing more than another or does it seem to be across the board? Please let us know. 

Thank you! 

cg
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

As of now, the audio notifications are only playing about 50%, in that really sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have not recreated all my audio notifications until I see it working, so therefore I only have like two instances of the Speaker Companion app defined. From these two, neither show consistent results.

My last email to Smartthings:
The speaker responds sometimes, not all of the time, as it did previously – and previously it did not matter, whether something was playing or it was off, as expected, it would announce the notifications at all times.

Since this issue, I have not been using the speaker at all for other purposes other than audio notifications, to better monitor it, so therefore the state of on/off has been the same without any state change. Like I said, there does not appear to have any rhyme or reason why it works at times and why it doesn’t, most of the times.

The only thing that I do notice, but does not help me understand the why, maybe helps you with some insight, that when an audio notification does indeed play on the Bose speaker, that in the ST app on my phone, in my Bose speaker’s device page’s Recently tab, I can see the order of the statuses when it works vs. when it doesn’t:

When it does work (all these statuses are from the Bose Speaker device):
….
Bose Speaker Switch nowplaying is Standby
Bose Speaker status is playing
Bose Speaker switch is on
Bose Speaker nowplaying is SmartThings notification
Bose Speaker status is standby
Bose Speaker switch if off
Bose Speaker nowplaying is Standby
…..

When it doesn’t work it just shows the following (‘Garage Door Has Opened’ is the name of the Speaker Companion App renamed and is the status being shown):
……
Garage Door Has Closed sent playTrackAndResume command to Bose Speaker
……

What I find odd is that, at least from what I see in the Recently tab of the Bose Speaker device, when it does work there is no status from the Speaker Companion App (i.e the sending of the command to the Bose speaker), only statuses from the Bose Speaker device, and when it doesn’t work, I am able to see from a Speaker Companion App the command being sent, but no response.
lee_sangsu
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 2, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by Brandon_M

Hi,

I am Samsung developer.

During last week, I have same problem.

I checked audio notification is working.

But after some hours (8hr, 10hr), it is not working.

Then after some hours(3hr, 5hr), it is change to working.

There are no network change.

To check this problem, I capture network packet.

At normal case, See below link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FNVIyobTAa-0fT8f8G6onnKRBAjYOIIl/view?usp=sharing

At problem case, See below link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1frixIPYNnBOMXnGAXz4qTmLP5E9RKGIN/view?usp=sharing

Can you check why there are some error ?

If you need more information, let me know.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi lee_sangsu,

Thank you for the packet capture and logs.

Is there any chance you could capture SoundTouch system logs and upload those to google drive as well?  I would like to get this escalated to the engineering team for investigation.

Thanks!

Brandon

EDIT:  Forgot to include instructions.  Sorry!

To collect system activity (SCM) logs:

If the app can find the system on the network:

• Insert a USB drive into SETUP B connector on the back of the SoundTouch system
  • In either the computer or mobile SoundTouch app, select Menu > Settings > About, then select the system you are trying to capture logs from
  • The system's log file will be written to the connected USB drive

If the app cannot find the system on the network:

• Insert a USB thumb drive to system before starting the troubleshooting. The USB thumb drive should have 2MB free space available 
  • Within two minutes of seeing the failure on the system, press and hold 5 and Volume - until the countdown in the display ends 
  • Press Volume - once to display the item 1.1 Ethernet MAC address. Document the Ethernet address shown
  • Press Volume - once to display the item 1.2 Wi-Fi MAC address. Document the Wi-Fi address shown
  • Press Volume - four times to display the item 2.3 IP Address. Document the IP address shown
  • If "2.3 Network SSID" appears, the system software is not up to date. Press Volume + to display 2.2 IP Address
  • Remove the USB drive. A file name starting with 'logread' should have been written to the USB drive. (e.g. logread-2013-11-1-14-30-23.txt) 
Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi lee_sangsu,

No need to collect logs!  Engineering has figured out the issue.  Thanks to your screenshots, engineering found out that there was a configuration mistake on our end.  We think this has been resolved, and they should be able to test within the next couple of days and hopefully push the fix soon after.

Let me know if there are any other questions!

Best,

Brandon

lee_sangsu
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 2, 2017

Hi Brandon,

It's good information.

Can I know what is main problem ? (Just I want to know. ^^)

If fix is deploy, let me know.

I can help to check it fixed or not.

Thanks,

Sangsu

cg
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

That is great news, assuming it's true that engineering has figured out the issue, and is applicable to my situation.

Looking forward to test it out as well!

Thanks both for the in-depth troubleshooting.