Highlighted
DavidKovanen
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

So frustrated with SoundTouch "No WiFi" error screens

I am so frustrated with Bose SoundTouch "No WiFi" error messages on my iPhone and desktop apps (when I very much do have WiFi.) More than half the time that I try to control my Bose devices I simply cannot get to them.

Bose telephone technical support is of no help. They provide no description of what might be happening and simply tell me (politely) to buy a new router. They are very non-technical and there is no escallation path.

I have eight (8) SoundTouch devices and have spent almost $10,000 on them. You would think Bose would have somebody that cared, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

My network is largish. It has 9 WiFi access points and seven switches. It is all high-end UniFi switching and Access Points, professionally installed. My point is that the network that I am on is big, but it is also one that is fully standards compliant and is designed for robustness.

Everything keeps coming back to Bose and their unwillingness to help. They won't help on the phone, they provide so little technical information that my network Admin can't even start to look at what the problem might be.

The best theory is that Bose has a poor/ineffective multicast implementation that isn't very robust and that counts on being on a tiny network and/or a combo wifi/router like you would find in a small home. But we really don't know.

I like the Bose SoundTouch system. I just wish that somebody at Bose cared and was technically adept.

On the screenshot below (from an IPhone with their IOS app) you can clearly see that there is a WiFi connection...

IMG_0757.PNG

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Ol’Fart
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jun 27, 2018

Re: So frustrated with SoundTouch "No WiFi" error screens

@DavidKovanen wrote:

...They are very non-technical and there is no escallation path.

I have eight (8) SoundTouch devices and have spent almost $10,000 on them. You would think Bose would have somebody that cared, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

...I just wish that somebody at Bose cared and was technically adept.

Hi David

All sad...but all very true...

Highlighted
QuilpieGuy
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jul 11, 2017

@DavidKovanen

Rest assured that it has nothing to do with your large network.

I have a tiny network in a tiny house and have had the same issue from the day I bought Bose a year ago.

Running the App on Andriod.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello David,

Thank you for posting and bringing this to our attention. I sincerely apologize about the issues you are having and the service you received when you contacted technical support. Please check your DM for more information.

Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello QuilpieGuy,

Thank you for the post, I apologize to you as well. Have you tested with another mobile device or a computer to see if the same issue follows? Can you provide us the make and model of your router?

Let us know the results so we can assist you further.

Regards,

Joel 

Highlighted
DavidKovanen
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

The problem happens from any of a dozen different iPhones or iPads. It does happen--but less--from several computers on the network.

The network is Unifi by Ubiquiti, which is primarially used on larger commercial and hotel installations, although it can be used residentially. If you send me a private email I can send you the topology and specifics.

Other users are experiencing this problem, so it is not unique to me or this specific site.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello @DavidKovanen,

Thank you for the response. I sent you a Private message through the community.

Regards,

Joel

Highlighted
DavidKovanen
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

Have you received everything you need from me in order to help?
Highlighted
QuilpieGuy
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jul 11, 2017

@Joel_D

I've no other device to test it on the device I'm using is a Samsung Note 5. The issue is/has occured with two different routers. The first one a Netgear D6200 which was replaced by a TP-Link Archer VR2800.

Highlighted
DavidKovanen
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

I've responded, provided detailed technical information, contact numbers, address, etc and haven't even received an acknowledgment back.

The problem happens when using any of the iPhones, iPads, etc that are used in the household. It is not a single device, not a single Bose unit. It is very general.

Initially I was excited that Bose reached out and contacted me. Now, it feels like a dropped ball.