Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 11, 2015

Sound Output from Cinemate 120

I hooked up a Cinemate 120 to my Samsung series 6 LED TV. I connected a cable box, two DVD recorders and a Playstation 3 to the console. Use supplied HDMI cable from TV to console via ARC port. So far the cable box and one DVD recorder work through the Cinemate. I get "no signal" (no picture or sound) when I switch to the PS3 or the other DVD recorder. I also can't get TV sound through the Cinemate console. I turned off the TV speakers and set them to external speakers. I've tried toggling the CEC/Anynet setting on the TV both ways with the same results. I've tried switching out HDMI cables. They all work when connected directly to the TV so I don't think it's an HDMI cable issue. I'm thinking there may be settings in the PS3 and other DVD recorder that need changing. I've been through all the TV (UN60ES6100FXZA) settings and can't find anything pertinent. I was going to try plugging the PS3 and other DVD into ports, on the Cinemate, that I can get to register to rule out bad ports. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 11, 2015

Re: Sound Output from Cinemate 120

I did some additional "troubleshooting" today. If I plug the other DVD recorder or PS3 into one of the ports that work I get picture and sound. So it looks like I have two dead ports. Does anyone know if the "Game" and "Aux" ports have separate settings on the console that need to be changed?
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

The optical and coaxia audio assignments do have settings in the system's menu that could be overriding the HDMI audio.  That shouldn't impact video though but they're worth looking at.  Use the System button on the remote and arrow down to "Optical" and then "Coaxial".  Have them both set to TV/Default.  
You might want to turn off the CEC control from within the Bose menu as well as this can cause problems with video in some cases.  Keep the Anynet settings turned off on the TV as well for now. 
When you switch to either Game or AUX on the CineMate system so you see either a "Dolby Digital" or "PCM 2.0" message on the Bose display?  If so, this would indicate that the HDMI ports on the console are not necessarily dead and something else might be happening.  
Let us know if this helps and we'll look into it further if needed.  Thanks! 
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 11, 2015

Jason - Not sure how but when I turned it back on to check the things you suggest I did have the Game port working, without changing anything. I tried a different HDMI cable on that DVD recorder and the Aux port but no change. I still have no response on Aux. I did plug the DVD recorder that was in Aux into one of the other ports and it did play. I set the "Coaxial" and "Optical" to Auto/TV settings. When I click on the Aux button there is nothing on the display except "Aux". On the other ports I see "Loading" and then I get picture/ sound but nothing from Aux. So three out of four working. Just need one more to work. Sugestions?
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Hi Randath, 
We did some further physical testing with the Cinemate system and it turns out that having OPTICAL INPUT, COAXIAL INPUT, or ANALOG INPUT  set to anything other than the default "Auto/TV" option will remove the ability to use HDMI on the selected input. 
Please check on the "SET ANALOG INPUT"  option in the menu as well, since it was not mentioned in our first response. Note that the change to "Auto/TV" will not take effect until you use the EXIT button to leave the menu. 
Let us know if this has any impact on the problem.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 11, 2015

George,
   That did it. I now have all four inputs working. The only thing left to do is get the TV/Antenna to come through. I think my Samsung TV won't pass the TV sound thrugh the HDMI ARC. So I'll be adding a digital optical cable this evening. Are there any settings I'll need to change? Thanks.
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Randath,
No settings should need to change on your Cinemate system. With the selections we already made above, the Optical sound should play automatically on the "TV" input for your sound system. 
You may need to change settings within the TV itself to have it output sound via the optical jack instead of by HDMI ARC. (or this may happen automatically)
Glad that we could help you out with setup! 
Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 11, 2016

I am having a similar problem with my new st130 and the aux hdmi input. It wont accept any signal from anything. I disconnected my xbox 360 and connected it to my tv and it works perfectly. then I did a factory reset and it recognised it as dvi with a pink screen and when I corrected that the screen went blank. No picture and no sound.
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Yelleaux,
If the trouble is only with the AUX input on the console (i.e. connecting your xbox360 to the CBL SAT or other HDMI ports works normally) then we may have another input overriding the AUX Source.

As mentioned in the previous troubleshooting on this thread make sure that options for OPTICAL INPUT, COAXIAL INPUT, or ANALOG INPUT are all set to "TV/Auto" on the Bose settings menu. If any of these are set to AUX they will disable the use of the HDMI AUX in.
Also, try connecting the ST 130's HDMI output to a different input on the TV. Sometimes this will mitigate an HDCP error that could be blocking video and/or sound.