sbest
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 19, 2018

Sound Touch 20 and Apple Music

When will my new Soundtouch 20 support Apple Music via wifi? Air Play 2 is out and now I want to connect apple music via wifi. 

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
bballman360
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 15, 2018

Re: Sound Touch 20 and Apple Music

For whatever reason Bose has decided not to support AirPlay anymore. If you have an older model it was built in and it should work via Airplay to one speaker. However, if you have a newer model it will never support Airplay as it has to have a special chip built in. Bluetooth is your only option. If you have an older model and want to airplay to more than two speakers via the app that does not work either. So basically It is Bluetooth or nothing.
Chupanibre
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Aug 16, 2016

Airplay2 isn’t out. It is only available in the beta of iOS 11.3. It even isn’t implemented in Apple’s own HomePod speaker yet.

As far as I know there are no special processors or whatsoever necessary, but I guess the supported WiFi standards must be not too old. 😉 I’m hopeful that my SoundTouch equipment will support AirPlay2 (ST10 III, ST300) when available.
sbest
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 19, 2018

is this a documented statement by Bose or is this frustration with the company. This seems like a long standing topic that people are getting upset about. I am considering returning the Soundtouch 20 and purchasing the Sonos devices. It is either that or switch to Spotify over Apple music. If this is an official statement by Bose can you point me to it? Thanks

bballman360
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 15, 2018

This is what a Bose rep has stated to me. I am simply forwarding what has been told to me. I have a similar issue with the last update and Airplay not working. I would not hold your breath with any updates. But Bose has told me that it needs to have that special chip built in to receive Airplay. New models do not have this, the older models do.

Hi all,

Thank you for sharing your interest in Apple Music and AirPlay 2! I certainly want to take a moment to clear up any confusion here. 

First, AirPlay (version 1) is only supported by our 1st and 2nd generation SoundTouch products (e.g. SoundTouch 20 and 30 series I and II). The series III speakers now support Bluetooth connectivity, instead of AirPlay (version 1). 

Apple Music and AirPlay 2 have certainly been requested by many Bose SoundTouch users. We are very aware of the popularity of this request and will provide any new informational updates as they become available. Currently, this article contains the latest information available regarding this topic. 

If you are curious about AirPlay 2 availability in general, I'd recommend taking a look at this article by Mac Rumors. Currently, this seems to be the latest news available. 

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

sbest
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 19, 2018

I am still not confident I understand the article you provided a link to. 

I have a Soundtouch 20. 

I play Apple Music through it via the bluetooth connection - poor sound quality.

I want to use Apple Music and play through my Bose Sountouch via wifi - much better sound quality. 

Yes or No, Will I be able to use Apple Music and play through my Sounctouch 20 via wifi instead of via Bluetooth?

If no I need to either

- Switch to Spotify in place of Apple Music I can play spotify through the soundtouch using Wifi - Better sound quality

- Return my Soundtouch and purchase a Sonos product. 

bartlowj
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 27, 2016

Brian - They have actually removed Airplay 2 from the iOS 11.3 beta they released today. Sounds like still having a lot of issues.  

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/20/airplay-2-removed-from-ios-tvos-11-3/

Hi sbest,

Thanks for your question. Unfortunately, I do not have a definitive answer to provide at this time. When new information becomes available, we will certainly share with you. We absolutely wish for you to continue to enjoy your SoundTouch product(s). For right now, Spotify or another available SoundTouch music service should be considered as an alternate option if you are looking to stream strictly via Wi-Fi. Although I know we could not provide the answer you were looking for right now, please understand that we hear your requests and strive to continuously improve our products based on your feedback. 

bartlowj,

Thank you for sharing this article!

Best regards,

- Brian

Ruisantinha
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 13, 2018

Hi Brian

I unterstand that behind the decision ti Support a Service is a lot involved and the fact that series III does not support airplay shows the problems you had with Apple and certification.
Nevertheless we users are not willing to wait indefinitely.
The SW in general from Bose SoundTouch compared with other top brands in the market inclusive that costs half is very poor, unresponsive, lack of features and additionally having not the service for Apple Users.
Having said that it’s Bose the only party that has something to loose as customers can always choose other products,
I think Bose is in a similar position as other premium product that meanwhile disappeared because they were dinosaurs.
I know that I’m not writing something you don’t know already but I wanted to show my frustration and disappointment.
I wish all the best for Bose and you

Best regards
Rui