Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 30, 2017

Sound Touch 300 Connected to Wifi but not on my phone via WiFi

I'm having an issue with my Soundtouch 300 where it repeatedly disconnects from the phone app.  I then have to reconfigure the soundbar as if I was starting from scratch (Sound Touch Button and 9).  This has occured about once every week, so this reconfiguring is a nuisance and not the correct answer.  To add to the issue, my computer has no issues connecting to the soundbar and the soundbar plays Pandora music when I press the Sound Touch button.  This all tells me that it's connected to the Wifi fine.  What's weird is reconfiguring it fixes the issue, which makes me think it's not an issue with my cable modem/router.  I like the convenience of the phone app because I can just grab my phone and turn on music, and I want the full capabilities this device is supposed to provide.

Devices being used:

Sound Touch 300 (updated to recent) 30 November 2017

Apple iPhone 6 (updated to recent)

SoundTouch App (updated to recent)

Mac Mini 2007

Ubee Modem Model #: DOW36C

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Sound Touch 300 Connected to Wifi but not on my phone via WiFi

Hi jbrown84. 

Thank you for sharing your post. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've been experiencing with the SoundTouch app detecting your SoundTouch 300 system. I'd be happy to help! As you mentioned, it seems that your system and router are working just fine (since the computer's SoundTouch app works fine, and you can play Pandora directly by using the SoundTouch button on the remote). 

There are a number of reasons why the app on your phone may be having detection issues, but let's explore this first. After researching your router, it seems your router is dual-band and broadcasts both 2.4GHz and 5GHz band wireless connection options. Curiously, when you look at the list of available Wi-Fi networks on your phone, do you see just one instance of your home network, or do you see a second one with something like "5G" added to the end? 

Scenario 1: I only see one network name:

• This means your router is likely using the same exact name for both the 2.4GHz band and 5GHz band. Your phone will only see one option and will connect to whichever one is providing the best signal strength at the time (randomly choosing without your knowledge). It may even be "auto-hopping" between the two networks without your knowledge. If your phone and SoundTouch system end up on opposite network options, the phone could have SoundTouch detection issues. 
  • To resolve this, we want to make sure each network has a separate name so that both show up as options within your phone's Wi-Fi list. You can do so by accessing your routers settings. See the manufacturer's instructions for further detail. I'd recommend simply adding "5G" to the end of the existing network name for the 5GHz band. Once we have two separate names, you will want to make sure that both your phone and SoundTouch system are connected to the same option. 
  • Reboot your router by unplugging power for 30 seconds. 

Scenario 2: I see two options: "[My Network Name] and [My Network Name - 5G]"

• In this scenario, we shouldn't need to adjust any router settings. Make sure that your SoundTouch system and phone are connected to the same network. 
  • Reboot your router by unplugging power for 30 seconds. 

Let us know if these steps help at all. If not, we can investigate further. 

Best regards,

Brian