Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Sound Touch Wireless Adaptor v Wireless Link Adaptor

Which is the best adaptor to use with a Cinemate 130?

The original Wireless Adaptor(rectangle shape) or the newer Wireless Link Adaptor(small square shape)?

is the older Wireless adaptor still aviaible for Cinemate 130 systems?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Sound Touch Wireless Adaptor v Wireless Link Adaptor

Author Accepted Answer selected by rickatk

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the question.  The older SoundTouch adapter (without Bluetooth) will work just fine with the Cinemate 130 system, as long as the software is up to date on the console.  The Wireless Link Adapter would work also and would give you Bluetooth connectivity, but it would not be controllable by the Cinemate remote as it would connect to the console using an Optical audio or RCA audio connection. 

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Best,

Brandon

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by rickatk

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the question.  The older SoundTouch adapter (without Bluetooth) will work just fine with the Cinemate 130 system, as long as the software is up to date on the console.  The Wireless Link Adapter would work also and would give you Bluetooth connectivity, but it would not be controllable by the Cinemate remote as it would connect to the console using an Optical audio or RCA audio connection. 

Best,

Brandon

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Brandon_M wrote:

The older SoundTouch adapter (without Bluetooth) will work just fine with the Cinemate 130 system...

The Wireless Link Adapter would work also and would give you Bluetooth connectivity, but it would not be controllable by the Cinemate remote...

Thanks Brandon:

How fast things change. The older version gets me Sound Touch using the supplied remote, but no Bluetooth. The new version gets me Bluetooth but no remote function, have to use an iPhone or other mobile device. That's progress!

Not being cynical here: Tech solutions change quickly. The original round Sound Touch remote has already been dropped from the ST line. Probably wasn't a big seller. Most of the competitors don't even have remotes, relying completely on their mobile app solutions. 

Guess I better hurry and pick up an older SoundTouch Adaptor for my Cinemate system as I prefer a remote over an iPhone to operate my ST systems.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

I have chosen the Sound Touch Wireless Adaptor(rectangle shape) to take advantage of the numbered presets in the remote that came with the ST130. I didn't originally purchase this add on to my Cinemate 130, thinking Apple TV would be sufficient but the Sound Touch / VTuner system has worked quite well in my home setting on my Sound Touch 30s. I could have upgraded my ATV to access Apple music but then would be tied to the ATV remote.

The small remote, with numbered presets, for the SoundTouch 30 is very convenient for all the family members. Extending this feature to the Cinemate 130 seems to be the best way to go. I haven't embraced using an iPhone or iPad as a remote quite yet and don't really care about Blue Tooth, as such I elected not to get the Wireless Link adaptor. 

I called Bose directly and horray, they still have a few in stock. The adaptor is on its way.   I have found Bose is very good at keeping legacy parts on hand. 

Thanks Brandon for the advice and clarification about these two adaptor products.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi again Rick,

Glad I was able to help!  If you have any more questions, please let us know.

Best,

Brandon

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Brandon_M wrote:

Hi Rick,

Best,

Brandon

Hi Brandon:

A SoundTouch Wireless adaptor(rectangle) arrived the other day. I noticed on the box the words “Series 2” and “Bluetooth.” I hooked up the device, performed the required updates and network access with ease. Sure enough BlueTooth and SoundTouch are available. Nice surprise!

Everything working well. I can turn on the Cinemate 130, select SoundTouch and access the presets using my Cinemate remote. Lovely Bose Sound. The TV doesn’t have to be on either.