Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jmassaro87
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2018

Sound cuts out/pop noise SoundTouch 300

I’ve got an issue, and am just hoping someone here has had the problem and can help me out, but thinking speaker may need to be replaced.
It is connected via optical.
The sound bar has been flawless up until this evening. We watched one movie then switched to another movie, and the sound cut out. The speaker popped, then nothing for a good 30 seconds. Sound came back, for maybe a minute, then back out again with a pop. When not playing any media, it will pop every 45-60 seconds. It also does it with every other input and connection as well.
Bought the complete system in August 2017, so its not that old and it mainly is used for watching Disney movies with my 2 year old. Anyone? Hoping to figure something out before the game tomorrow...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jmassaro87
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2018

Re: Sound cuts out/pop noise SoundTouch 300

Author Accepted Answer selected by Jmassaro87

My popping was happening regardless of input, and it would play no audio at all, just popping. Called support, i had to send my speaker in. One week to get there, a week for repair, and a week back. The replaced the main board in my sound bar and it is working beautifully again.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
jackalo9
Participant
Registered since

Feb 4, 2018

I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but I'm experiencing something similar as of today.  After updating my speakers to the most recent firmware, i've been experiencing crackling / popping sounds from by bass, and the surround speakers seem to be having connectivity issues.  Never had a problem before.  Hope to be resolved ASAP.

SkyYYZ
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

@Jmassaro87 wrote:
I’ve got an issue, and am just hoping someone here has had the problem and can help me out, but thinking speaker may need to be replaced.
It is connected via optical.
The sound bar has been flawless up until this evening. We watched one movie then switched to another movie, and the sound cut out. The speaker popped, then nothing for a good 30 seconds. Sound came back, for maybe a minute, then back out again with a pop. When not playing any media, it will pop every 45-60 seconds. It also does it with every other input and connection as well.
Bought the complete system in August 2017, so its not that old and it mainly is used for watching Disney movies with my 2 year old. Anyone? Hoping to figure something out before the game tomorrow...

Jmassaro87,

Since you are tight for time... try moving the Acoustimass to the other side of the TV.  It was a resolution for one user in this thread.

Jmassaro87
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2018

For me, it’s not the acoutimass. It is the sound bar itself. I did the usual reboot and update, still having problems.
SkyYYZ
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

I guess I merged yours and the other post together in my mind and went seeking a solution.. sorry, my bad!

That is strange.  I wonder if it's worth forcing the ST 300 to reinstall the firmware?  Instructions are on page 41 of the manual.

Jmassaro87
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2018

Totally ok. I’m willing to try anything. I did do an update last night in hopes that that would fix it, but it did not. Powered on with no audio source connected or playing, it will pop every few minutes. I think my unit went bad. Upsetting for such an expensive setup. Meanwhile my CineMate from 10 years ago is still going strong. Guess I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to cal support.
SkyYYZ
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

You are probably right.  Curiously, what happens if you temporarily disable WiFi on the ST 300, to eliminate the possibility of some sort of interference?  Toggling WiFi on/off is the next page of the manual I think.

Jmassaro87
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2018

That was an interesting thought, unfortunately didn’t help.

The whole thing is just weird. Was fine all day yesterday. We watch a full movie, then started another and 2 minutes in it happened. I almost thought it was the movie until I started troubleshooting.
SkyYYZ
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

...yeah, and if it's still popping every few minutes without any source connected to it then trying a different Optical cable won't help.  Hmm... must be hardware related like you suspect.  What about a different surge/powerbar?  I know I've read that they degrade over time.

Jmassaro87
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2018

It was worth a shot, same symptoms...