Bernt
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 20, 2017

Re: Sound system 20 turns itself on

This has been a problem with my Soundtouch 20 for a long time before the new app was introduced. We are connected to a larger wifi network with a lot of young users and I was convinced that some of them was hacking into the system. It is always starting on full volume and using Spotify - also long time before I had connected it to a spotify account.

For this reason I set up an internal password protected system with firewalls to prevent outsiders. However, a few minutes ago it happened again while I was sitting next to it working on my computer. I'm alone in the house, no remotes in use at least not in this house and the distance to next house is far too long for any remotes. 

Perhaps the technical staff should dig a bit deeper into the system to find the reasons that are so far not explained?

DavidS
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 14, 2017

Dear Bernt,

Thank you for your email.

This is a very frustrating problem which Bose do not appear to take seriously.

As I said in my original post I do not use any apps like Spotify. The majority of the time we just use the Soundtouch 20 to listen to the internet radio (BBC Radio 2 and BBC Radio 4) and over the past week the unit has turned itself on a number of times.

I intend to reset the unit back to the original factory settings and start for scratch and if it still has the problem I intend to put the pressure on Bose to find a solution to the problem.

Kind regards

David

jimrico
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

Come on BOSE

Is like the third time that my BOSE soundtouch turns itself on at 1am at full volume in random music stations, I dont even use that radio stuff.

My wife thinks our house is hounted.  I get a little scared but i still believe this is a software issue.

DavidS
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 14, 2017

Dear Jimrico,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing the same problem of the Bose Soundtouch 20 turning itself on.  

Following my last post I went through the factory reset process several times but the ST20 still continued to turn itself on typically very late at night or early in the morning.

After another lengthy telephone conversation with Bose Support I was asked to return the unit for them to carry out a full inspection. Fortunately my ST20 is still under warranty and Bose made all the necessary arrangements to collect it from my home and return it to their facility in Belgium. 

I was told it could take between 1 to 2 weeks before my ST20 would be returned to me. 

It will be interesting to see if Bose actually discover what is causing this problem as I am clearly not the only Bose customer who is experiencing this annoying problem.

You may be interested to learn that we also recently bought a Soundtouch 10 which we have been using much more frequently as a result of our ST20 is away for repair and this Bose unit has 'never' turned itself on.

Once my ST20 has been returned I will keep the Bose Community posted as to whether the problem has been resolved or whether we do actually have a ghost who likes to listen to BBC Radio 2 and 4 late at night.

Regards DavidS

Hi jimrico, 

What source does your system turn on to? If you are experiencing this issue with a song from your library stored on a NAS drive, it will be resolved with our next software update that will begin rolling out on the 15th. 

Thank you 

DavidS
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 14, 2017

Dear Brent_B,

You are aware that I am one of the Bose customers who has problems with their Soundtouch 20.

I have been experiencing two specific problems both of which occur when we are using the unit to listen to digital radio (BBC RADIO 2 and BBC RADIO 4). To confirm I have the ST20 connected to my BT router via an Ethernet cable though I do get the same problems when connected via wifi to my router. For the record when I measure my broadband speed I achieve a stable Download speed of 32mbps and an Upload speed of 7.45mbps.

1. My ST20 will drop out and the radio will stop playing. If I turn the unit off and on again or select an alternative preset channel the radio will start working again. When  I sometimes look at the ST app on my iPad I find that the ST20 is no longer detected. I try to select the unit again and eventually the device will appear again in the app.

2. My ST20 has started to switch itself on which can be very disturbing when it happens late at night or early in the morning. From memory this problem only started to occur after Bose introduced the new Soundtouch App.

I have raised both these problems a number of times with Bose Support but I was never given an explanation as to why these faults can occur particularly the issue of the ST20 tuning itself on. When I last complained to Bose Support I was asked to return the unit to be inspected / serviced at your facility in Belgium.

The unit was returned a few days ago with a covering letter which stated that they could not find any faults and could not replicate the two problems. This was very disappointing as this was an expensive unit and I would not expect these kinds of problems with a Bose product.

You many be interested to learn that I recently bought a Bose Soundtouch 10 which we used more frequently while the ST20 was away at your service centre and even though it can only be used via Wifi 'no' problems were experienced.

When the ST20 was returned a few days ago I immediately unpacked it and connected the unit using an Ethernet cable direct to my router and within one hour the radio dropped out again even though my broadband speed was normal. At about 1:00am yesterday morning the ST20 turned itself on to BBC Radio 4. Fortunately I took the precaution of turning down the volume setting when I turned the unit off the evening before but even so the unit tuning itself on woke me up.

Just imagine that the unit turns itself on when set at a high volume and I happen to be away on holiday for two weeks and I come home to discover that it had been playing at a high volume disturbing my neighbors. My only course of action now must now be to disconnect the device from the mains power.

I have been a Bose customer for over 10 years however taking everthing into consideration I find the outcome very disappointing and I seriously regret buying the  Soundtouch 20.

Regards DavidS

Hi DavidS, 

I am so sorry to hear that you've had such a bad experience. Sending your system in only to have it be returned experiencing the same issue is definitely frustrating. Let's see if we can fix the two issues you've outlined. 

1. What is the make and model of your router? We have seen issues like this with HomeHubs where disabling "Enhanced UPnP Security" resolves it. Here are the steps:

1. Open a web browser and go to bthomehub.home

2. Choose “Settings”

3. When prompted, log in to the router to access the settings (Note: Password change / creation might be required if this is the first time logging in)

4. Choose “Advanced Settings”:

§ For HomeHub 3:

i. Choose “Port Fowarding”

ii. Choose UPnP

iii. Set “Enhanced UPnP Security” to “Off”

§ For HomeHub 4 and 5:

i. Choose “Firewall”

ii. Choose “UPnP”

iii. Set “Enhanced UPnP Security” to “Off”

5. Choose “Apply” to save changes (Note: Some router models might reboot to allow the change to take effect)

If this doesn't resolve it, can you try to physically swap the locations of the ST10 and the 20 to see if the issue follows the speaker or the location? 

2. Can you triple check  no one else is inadvertently turning the system on with the app on their mobile device by logging out of the app on all devices except yours. This is done at Menu > Settings > Account > Sign Out. 

In addition, there is a possibility the remote is sending a bad command to the system causing this. Can you take the remote for the system and place it in a drawer to see if this corrects the issue? If the SoundTouch 10's remote is in the line of sight of the system, let's also place that in a drawer to see if that helps. 

Please let us know if this resolves your issues or not. 

Thank you

DavidS
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 14, 2017

Dear Brent_B,

Thank you for your email.

I have reviewed all your comments and I can confirm the following:-

1. My router is the BT SMART HUB 6 (BTHub6):-

I had already discussed the router settings during one of my many telephone conversations with Bose Support and as requested I had already disabling "Enhanced UPnP Security". Please see the attached pages grabs shown the settings page. I have also attached a page grab showing the broadband speed check results. These values shown are using a speed checker app on my iPad. I also routinely check my broadband speed on my Windows laptop connected via an Ethernet cable to compare broadband speeds achieved via an Ethernet cable and via Wifi and the speed results are always comparable.

I have stopped wasting my time trying to use the Soundtouch 20 connected to my BT Smart Hub6 via WiFi just in case it was due to signal strength but I know this is not the case. I now always connect the ST20 to my router with a cable via my wired Ethernet as this in theory should be the best connection to the router.

For the record I have also carried out tests to check the actual Ethernet cable and tried different cables and no problems have ever been found.

I have attached page grabs taken from the Soundtouch App showing the recorded details for both the ST20 and the ST10 and the software details etc.

2. Your comment regarding the location of the Soundtouch 20 in my home:-

I have used the Soundtouch 10 in exactly the same position in my home (kitchen) as the ST20 however the connection to my BT broadband router is via Wifi due to the fact that there is no Ethernet socket on the ST10. The Soundtouch 10 has always worked perfectly never losing connection. The page grab you will see below was taken showing the readings with the ST10 positioned in my lounge and despite the indicated poor WiFi signal strength the unit works perfectly. The ST10 has also never ever turned itself on.

3. Regarding the ST20 turning itself on:-

3.1. There is only my wife and myself living in our home and we only have the Soundtouch App loaded on one mobile device namely my iPad and on my Desktop Windows PC.

We do own a number of other iPads and iPhones but the Soundtouch App is not loaded on any of these and when not in use they are never left turned on.

3.2. We have never used the Soundtouch 20 or Soundtouch 10 remote controllers. In fact they are both still in their original shrink packaging and are kept in a drawer in my study.

3.3. I have even tested the various remote controls used to operate our Samsung TV and Humax box to see if it was possible for a rogue signal from either of these units to switch on the Soundtouch 20. Irrespective of which buttons are pressed on the two controllers e.g. Power on / off , channel buttons etc the ST20 does not respond.

4. Soundtouch 20 and Soundtouch 10 day to day usage:-

We predominately use either Soundtouch units to listen to Internet radio but mainly the ST20 except when it was recently returned to the Bose Service Dept when we used the ST10. The channels we also listen to are BBC Radio 2 and BBC Radio 4.

Using the Soundtouch App we occasionally listen to streamed music which is stored on my Desktop Windows PC in iTunes. To select and control this music I use the Soundtouch App on my iPad. Clearly we have never experienced the unit turning itself on and playing thebstreamed music as when the Desktop PC is not being used it is always turned off.

When the internet radio is playing for example on Preset 2 for BBC Radio 2 or Preset 4 for BBC Radio 4 and the ST20 suddenly stops playing if I switch to another Preset the other preset channel will play. If I then press the Preset channel we were listening to it plays again.

Sometimes this does not work so I even try turning the ST20 off and on again and occasionally even disconnect the power lead and then reconnect. If I look at the Soundtouch App selected for the ST20 it is not detected and the screen states it's searching for the device.

I trust you would agree that we have tried everything we can to try to find a solution to this problem but as far as I can see we have bought an expensive Bose product based on our past experience of buying other Bose products but the Soundtouch 20 is proving to be a mistake.

I tried to respond via a normal reply email but this failed so I am posted the content of my email in Community Bose however I do not think the quoted attached jpeg images will be readable and I do not know how to load them in the community site.

Please acknowledging receipt of this email and I would be very interested to receive your comments.

Kind regards

David

DavidS

image1.png

image2.png

image3.png

image1.png

image1.png

image1.png

image1.png

• image1.png

Hi David, 

Thank you so much for clarifying. I have to say that if the SoundTouch 10 works flawlessly in the same location as the 20, especially given that the 20 turns itself on, that it sounds like something is not functioning correctly with the 20. I did see the screenshots and thank you for that. I'm going to send you a private message about this. 

Thank you 

-Brent

DavidS
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 14, 2017

Dear Brent_B,

i have responded to your private massage but I do not know if you received my reply.

Please see the detail below.

Bose Sound Touch 20 III

Delivered 6th October 2015

John Lewis order no 64950637

Order date 4th October 2015 13:21.

Serial number 069430P51960552AE

£349.95

Kind regards

DavidS