Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 26, 2017

Sound touch cutting out when more than one speaker playing

Hi,

I have a Soundtouch 30 and 2 x Soundtouch 20s. Indiviudally if I am playing music to one speaker it works fine, but when I tried to "play all" ie have all three playing the same music together, they keep individually cutting out. I've checked the RSSI strength via the Soundtouch app and one of the them is rated Great, the other two rated Good. It happens whether I blue tooth, or play music via the app. Help please! Thank you 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Sound touch cutting out when more than one speaker playing

Hi David,

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having with Play All.  Have you received the software update yet?  If so, please update your systems and app, and see if the issue has resolved itself. 

Thanks,

Brandon

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 1, 2017

I have the same problem. Our network of 3 Soundtouch 10s and a Soundtouch 20 will only play one speaker at a time unless adding to a group. So Play All works, but if we have one speaker playing and try to start another (on the app or using a button on the speaker) it starts that speaker but silences the speaker that was previously playing. The speaker remains on, but is silent. This only started recently. As far as I know our apps are up to date. (Interface version 16.150.53; Protocol version 59; App version 15.130.23.)

Bill
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the post, and sorry to hear about the Play All problems.

Have you been able to update to the 17.x firmware?  Does this help with the Play All issue?

Thanks,

Brandon

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 1, 2017

Hi Brandon, 

I was under the assumption that any updates would happen automatically (as often when I open the app I have to wait for an update to be installed). I've searched for a firmware v17 update on bose.com and on soundtouch.com with no luck. When I search for "firmware 17" on soundtouch.com the software release notes seemed a good place to start, but it only shows up to version 16. When I do look at pages that might have something useful (e.g. here) there is no reference to firmware and the procedures are so complex (and I am pretty comfortable with software installation) that I don't see it as a solution.

Perhaps you could point me in the direction of the firmware update download page and I'll have a go at it. 

Regards, Bill

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 26, 2017

Hi,

I've worked out how to update the software. I must admit like the other poster, I didn't realise that the software of the actual Soundtouch's needed to be updated separatly from the App. Currently they are working well, but previously problems were intermittant so I'll montior them and hopefully it is all resolved. 

Bill - here is the link to the software download and and how to updated you Soundtouch Speakers https://downloads.bose.com/ced/soundtouch/soundtouch_usb/index.html

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 1, 2017

Thanks very much for this David. I am now on the way to sorting it out - no help from Bose. 

1. You directed me to the download page: terrific.

2. Which series Soundtouch 30 (not 20) speaker do I have - i, ii or iii? Not written on the speaker. No information on any Bose website I could find. Eventually I was able to track down the original paperwork I got with the speaker.

3. Unbelievably complex way of updating the firmware - having to use a USB stick for a device that is connected to the internet. But it is now done for the 30. 

4. More unbelievable complexity - I now have to get myself a USB-mini-male to USB-female connector so I can update my Soundtouch 10s.

Bose may make good speakers, but they seem to have no idea how to operate in this connected world.

Bill