Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Sound touch helper constantly running and using system resources

Hi David,

Thank you for the post.  Do you use the SoundTouch App on your PC?  If not you can uninstall it as it is not required.  If you do use it the app on your PC, we can have you collect log files so we can investigate what is happening.

Best,

Brandon

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 9, 2018

Same problem here. Soundtouch Helper runs constantly, even if no music is being played, using 8-10% of system ressources. Constantly running the hard disk. PC with WIN 10, Bose Sound Toch 20 speaker, large music collection with approx. 8500 files. Could Bose please provide a solution?

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 24, 2016

I suspect that some (not necessarily all) of these problems are the same problem described here: https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Speakers/iTunes-Soundtouch-Windows-and-temp-files/m-p/11373...

That problem has to do specifically with iTunes support, but there could be a similar problem with WMP or other media support.

I have provided Bose with trace logs and iTunes files for that problem.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 6, 2017

Thanks for keeping on with this. I don't know where I would find similar tmp files for WMP.

Anyway, I just want to report that the "helper using excess CPU" problem went away all by itself after a week or two. Right now, both the server and helper are running under two different logins, but they are all using 0% CPU. Terminating the server sometimes terminates the helper and sometimes not.

As a result I don't have a battery drain problem so I'm not much worried (especially given all the other apps that sit around using no CPU).

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 6, 2017

Well, it's a little more complicated. I just noticed SoundTouchHelper running at 20% for a while. But in the time it took to open this page, Helper went back to 0%. I wish someone could get a handle on this.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 9, 2018

My understanding is that it depends on the size of your music library, and that Sound Touch Helper checks for updates every 15 minutes. I have a library of about 40,000 titles, so before the app was ready analysing this the cycle started again - as a result the resource use was permanent. I have now reduced the size of my library that is visible to this app, and the problem has disappeared. So the Bose app can handle smallish libraries only. With a large library you are out of luck. It might be useful if Bose admits to this to owners who want to use Sound Touch equipment with large music libraries. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 6, 2017

Ah, I get it, that makes sense. I just caught it on one of its 15-minute cycles.

I don't suppose it's possible to tell the music server not to poke in a given folder - on this PC I only want the music server to see the local files, not those on my OneDrive.