SoundLink wifi setup fails every time. I have tried from multiple computers, and with multiple cables.
It give me a communication error and gives the steps to 1. disconnect USB, 2. power off speaker, and 3. restart application. Then the same cycle occurs again. It used to work. Is there an alternative installation method? I'm doing it via Windows, but I also tried on my Mac.
Sorry to hear that you're having difficulties with setup. Please try the alternate setup steps (which I've included) and see if this works. If this doesn't work and you are unable to connect to your Wi-Fi, there may be something wrong with your system, and you should contact your local support center to arrange for service.
Alternate setup method
Using this method you can set up your SoundLink built-in Wi-Fi® network and then connecting to your home Wi-Fi network.
Note: Before you start, disconnect power and any cables from your SoundLink Air system.
1. Place your SoundLink Air system in a location where you want to use it.
2. Bring your iPod touch, iPad, iPhone or laptop computer to the same location.
3. Connect the SoundLink Air system to power.
4. Press and hold the Reset button on the bottom of the SoundLink Air System for at least two seconds until the Wi-Fi indicator turns solid amber.
5. Wait until you hear an audio tone (in approximately 30 seconds). Then, continue.
6. On your iPod touch, iPad, iPhone or laptop computer, turn on Wi-Fi and join the "Bose SoundLink Air Network."
7. Open a browser and type: http://192.168.1.1 in the address field. The setup window is displayed on your screen
8. Select your home Wi-Fi network from the drop-down list, enter your password and tap (or click) Connect. The Wi-Fi indicator may briefly blink blue and then turn on solid blue to indicate a successful connection to your home Wi-Fi network.
Note: Before you continue, it is recommended to check for any available software updates. See "Updating system software" on page 18.
9. On your iPod touch, iPad, iPhone or laptop computer, return to the Wi-Fi control panel and join your home Wi-Fi network.
10. Start a music application, tap (or click) the AirPlay icon to 30%.
11. Select the SoundLink Air system in the speaker list.
If the beep is not playing after 30 seconds, there may be something wrong with the speaker. I would ask that you contact your local support center to arrange for service.
Oct 6, 2017
The website http://192.168.1.1/ does NOT work...I need to do the set-up via this page as I do not want to hardwire it to a computer and it is dead as a doornail.
Sep 25, 2014
Have you attempted a factory default of the system by pressing and holding the reset button on the bottom of the speaker until you hear an audible tone, and the LED on the front goes out? Once you have factory defaulted the speaker, you should see a solid amber LED on the front. Using either a smartphone or tablet, connect to the SoundLink Air network, then try typing in the address you have posted above. The important step here would be to factory default the system. If you do not hear an audible tone from the speaker, the speaker did not successfully factory default.
Let us know if that works and if not we can take it from there!
Nov 24, 2017
That website does not work. A little box pops up that asks for a username and password. I have no idea what username and password that website would need...
Thanks for the question.
It sounds like your device that you're using to setup the SoundLink Air is not connected to the SLA, but instead your home network.
What part of the steps have you gotten hung up on?