Cookieb
Registered since

Jul 30, 2015

SoundTocuh Server Not Available

After updating iTunes on my Mac from version 12.2, the SoundTouch Music Server icon shows up momentarily in the menu bar after starting the app up, but then disappears. The SoundTouch application itself runs, but can't play any music from my iTunes library because the SoundTouch Music Server is not running.
The app is up to date.
It runs on a Mac running OS 10.10.4.
I use a VPN which I have also turned off but it makes no difference.
What to do?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
This widget could not be displayed.
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: SoundTocuh Server Not Available

Bruce,
Our Engineering team has had a look at your logs the library .xml file s you sent in later. They confirmed that there are several Podcasts listed with erroneous meta tags which may be causing the SoundTouch music server to crash when it attempts to index them. 

These podcast files may have previously been deleted from your computer, but due to an iTunes issue their record still lingers in the library.

To solve this issue we will need to find, edit,  and then remove these files from your library. This can be done with the steps below:

1. To find these files within iTunes: Create a "smart playlist" and set the "media kind" to "podcast" Migrated ImageMigrated Image
  2. Right-click on a podcast in the smart playlist
  3. Select “Get Info”
  4. Select “Options”
  5. Under “Media Kind” choose “Music”
  6. Repeat steps 2-5 for each podcast identified by the search. (These must be done for each file, one at a time)
  7. In the standard "My music" view for iTunes:  Find and delete these same files which were previously marked as podcasts. This will allow them to be permanently removed from the library.

Once these files are gone from the library, Close iTunes and restart your soundtouch app/music server.
Let us know how this goes. Thank you for your patience on this.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Michael_Fitzpat
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 6, 2014

Hello Cookieb,
We can certainly assist you with that today. I have a couple of questions and steps to try to see if we can isolate the issue:

1. Is this computer you are using a work provided computer or a personal computer? Or both? 
  2. Have you tried to install the SoundTouch application on another computer? That would be a good test to see if the issue is isolated to that one computer or not.
  3. Do you have any anti-virus, security, or proxy software installed on the computer? If so, have you added the SoundTouch application into the exception list for the firewall of those programs?
  4. If you open the SoundTouch application, then go to EXPLORE->SETTINGS->About->SoundTouch App Info. There will be an "Interface Version" on the top, and an "Application Version" down below. What is the full version number under "Application Version"?
  5. Have you tried to uninstall and re-install the application yet? If not, try to do so to see if that will clear the issue up.
  6. Try to add the SoundTouch application into the OSX firewall. Even if the firewall is off, it may be blocking and crashing the SoundTouch music server. There is a help article listed on Apple's website which details instructions on how to do so if needed: OS X: About the application firewall

Let us know the answers to those questions and whether or not any of the steps allowed the SoundTouch Music Server to continue running.
Thanks for your time.
Cookieb
Registered since

Jul 30, 2015

Hi Michael,
Responses to your questions are:
The computer I am having issues with is a personal iMac computer.
I have the app installed on a Macbook Air and that works perfectly with the Music Server.
No I don’t have anything like that running other than VPN. I have tried with VPN on and off but it makes no difference. The Macbook Air works fine with VPN on.
Applic v is 7.2.53
Yes I uninstalled and installed the app and it made no difference.
I have done this and again no change.
What are the next steps?
Regards
Bruce Cooke (Cookieb)
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

​Thanks for the info Bruce, Let's keep looking:

1. Can you please let us know the exact error message that shows up when you try to play music from the library? Please include the 4-digit error code that comes with it. (1622, 1608, etc.)
  2. Remove the library from your Soudndouch account by choosing Explore > Settings > Music Services > Music Libraries > > Remove.
  3. Re-add the library using the button at the bottom. Please let us know the full details on any error messages you might encounter in this step or the one above it.
  4. iMac computers have the potential to be connected to the network by Ethernet and Wi-Fi at the same time. Having both network adapters active will cause problems with our Music Server, however. If you use an Ethernet cable to connect your iMac, make sure the Wi-Fi on that computer has been manually disabled.

The information on what you see in steps 1-3 will help us narrow down the nature of the problem. Thank you.
Cookieb
Registered since

Jul 30, 2015

George, thanks for coming back.
Attached is the error message I get after I follow points 2 & 3 in your list. Error message 1608.

I had the iMac connected t both Wifi and ethernet and have disabled the ethernet. I removed the library and tried re-adding it after I disconnected the ethernet cable.
Regards
Bruce Cooke
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Bruce, 

It is unclear from what you wrote. Were you unable to re-add the library after removing it? Or did that work correctly?

Additional troubleshooting for a 1608 error can be found in this article: "Service Unavailable" message displayed (1608) 

Please try those steps and let us know what results you found. Thank you. 

Cookieb
Registered since

Jul 30, 2015

George,
In answer to your question I was not able to re-add the library after removing it.
I have been through the article and turned everything remotely close t some of the applies mentioned and still can not get the server running so remain with the 1608 message.
Where do i go from here?
Regards
Bruce
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Bruce, 

These symptoms are unusual enough that we would like to have a closer look at the log files from your SoundTouch app to learn more. To gather these logs, follow these steps:

1. If the SoundTouch application is running, close it.
  2. Use Spotlight to search for "SoundTouchL"
  3. Click that icon to start the SoundTouch app with logging enabled.
  4. Logs will be saved in the HomerLogs folder on your desktop

Logs of the software startup should hopefully contain some information about why the music server is crashing so quickly. Please email those files to us at ****************@bose.com and set the original post title as the subject line so that we can identify and match the logs up with the issue.

Once we have these files we can escalate this to our engineers for examination. Thank you.

Cookieb
Registered since

Jul 30, 2015

George, attached are the 3 log files. Hope I understood your comment about adding the original post. Appreciate if you could check and modify if necessary.

Regards
Bruce (Cookieb)
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Bruce, You need to send these files in a new email to ****************@bose.com. Replying to the email from our Owner's Community forum will not work as attachments cannot be transfered in this way.