BenSwansea
Registered since

Sep 8, 2016

SoundTouch 10 and NAS

Hi,
Having a few issues with my Sound Touch 10.  My music library is stored on a Synology DS213j NAS - The majority of music is where my father has used iTunes to convert them into mp3s on his computer and then I have copied them over onto the NAS storage.  He has spent a lot of time manually adding the album art of anything that iTunes did not automatically find, either by searching the internet or scanning in the album sleeve.
Issues are:
1) As above the album art is available in iTunes, but when it has been copied to the NAS and accessed via the Sound touch app not all the artwork shows.
2) The search function only sometimes works when you search for a track, but never works for artist/album searches which are the most important searches.  Error is 1600 "Cannot access your music library.  Make sure your NAS is not in sleep mode" - I can find items when you scroll through the artists/albums but there are ~1000 artists / ~30k tracks so need to be able to search
3) Slight gripe my father has with the app is he would like to be able to scroll through a album list that shows album art thumbnails in the list, not just the album name.  Similar to how iTunes shows albums- Is this possible? Maybe needs to be feature request ?

2 REPLIES 2
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: SoundTouch 10 and NAS

Hi BenSwansea
In the case of music stored on a Synology drive, the SoundTouch app can only display artwork which is sent to it by the NAS drive's DLNA music server. Music server features can differ between NAS drives. Some might read album art embedded in the individual music files while others might need an album image to be placed in the album folder.
Try adding an album image to the album folder for the albums which are missing art. If that doesn't work, try instead embedding an album image directly to the individual tracks. For more info, refer to the Synology DS213j drive documentation to determine what format it needs to be able to read album art.
The search feature also works differently across each drive and is something we are actively working on improvements for. 
We will pass on your feedback and suggestions regarding album art  thumbnails as well.
Thank you.
BenSwansea
Registered since

Sep 8, 2016

Re: SoundTouch 10 and NAS

OK in that case I wonder if it's worth looking to change my NAS music server, and find one that handles album artwork in the same way as iTunes.  When my dad has spent weeks getting artwork available I don't want to say "this is in the wrong format now" !