Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 17, 2016

SoundTouch 130 output 4k 60Hz through Receiver HDMI1.4b. How is it possible?

Hello,
I have a PC which can output at 4k 60Hz to Bose Receiver using HDMI2.0 cable. Reading from few post from this community, I was made to understand SoundTouch130 with the latest firmware update (which I have done so) supports a 4k 60HZ passthrough to TV which has HDMI2.0. This is not sending any HDCP2.2 material, and this is just sending PC display to TV e.g. desktop or web browsing.
The bit I don't get is in the previous post, it says Bose SoundTouch130 supports 4K 60HZ passthrough however from the Bose Receiver to TV, its output through HDMI1.4b from Bose Receiver into TV HDMI2.0. How is it this is possible if the 4k 60Hz signal is sent to the TV via the HDMI1.4b port from Bose Receiver ? I would have thought this would require HDMI 2.0 port from Bose Receiver  as well to the TV as well for this passthrough to work, all the way from PC to the TV ? 
Hence isn't this saying the SoundTouch 130 is not able to passthrough a 4K 60HZ signal without a HDMI 2.0 on the Bose Receiver itself ? 
Thanks,
Alvin
4 REPLIES 4
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: SoundTouch 130 output 4k 60Hz through Receiver HDMI1.4b. How is it possible?

Hi Alvin, The only factor which might prevent 4K pass through on the SoundTouch 130 is the fact that it was designed well before HDCP2.2 was in wide usage. If your 4K Source, Destination, or Both require the copy protection check of HDCP2.2, then this could block the video and audio from being passed through the system.
HDMI 1.4 can support the pass through of 4K content but HDCP2.2 support cannot be added to the system without a change in hardware.
Hope this clarifies.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 17, 2016

Re: SoundTouch 130 output 4k 60Hz through Receiver HDMI1.4b. How is it possible?

Hi George,
Thank you for the response. However, in this case as per initial email,  there are no HDCP2.2 source/material involves. This is simply trying to connect a PC to a TV through the Bose Receiver. Not movies or any media is been played. I am not getting any signal been passthrough when the PC is connected to the Bose Receiver when i'm sending 4K 60Hz. It works with the receiver when the signal is 4K 30Hz though. If I plug the PC straight the the TV, I dont have the issue and getting 4K 60Hz. So it appears the Bose Receiver HDMI1.4 is limitting the passthrough to TV ?
The question on the initial email is that how is it possible for Bose Receiver to passthrough 4k 60Hz when the output from Bose Receiver to TV is done via a HDMI1.4 port ? It doesnt have sufficient bandwidth to do so right ? I quote from another response in this forum from Shawn (Bose Representative) mentioning this will need a HDMI 2 port output from the Bose Receiver. 
So, no HDCP2.2 material been send through and how is it possible for Bose Receiver to passthrough a 4K 60Hz to the TV when a HDMI1.4 port is used ? 
Thanks,
Alvin
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

Alvin - 
We did some additional investigation on this and you are absolutely correct. HDCP 2.2 shouldn't enter into the discussion here at all. 
The HDMI 1.4 specification generally only provides support for 30Hz video when passing 4K.  Although the software update did provide support for 60Hz video that is only at a maximum resolution of 1080p.  
This information is documented on the product's Crutchfield page located HERE.  This is somewhat unclear in our documentation here and we'll have that corrected. 
Sorry for any incorrect information that was provided here but we hope this clears it up.  

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 17, 2016

Jason,
Thank you for the confirmation. It just happen there has been few threads on this Forum which creates the expectation the Bose SoundTouch130 supports true 4K 60Hz. I'm glad the correct information will now prevail. As a workaround, my current arrangement is connecting the first PC HDMI straight to the TV to get true 4K 60Hz video and the second PC HDMI to the Bose Receiver to get Audio. That seems to work well for now.
Cheers,
Alvin