Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 25, 2017

SoundTouch 20 Need to keep speaker on When using AUX

Hello,

I know this topic has come up before but all the replies were from 2016.  I need a way to keep my Sound Touch 20 series 3 on at all times while using AUX (I am usinf an Amazon Dot with the speaker).  Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

Bill

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 25, 2014

Re: SoundTouch 20 Need to keep speaker on When using AUX

Hi Bela614,

Currently at the moment the there is no option to disable the SoundTouch 20 auto-shutoff feature of 20 minutes if there is no audio playing on the system or any interaction with the system while connected via AUX. Having said that if you connect the SoundTouch 20 to the Echo Dot via Bluetooth, the auto-off feature will be disabled and the two should stay paired together, and on, until you turn one of them off or disconnect the speaker from Bluetooth.

Thanks!

-Michael

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

Unfortunately all my ST devices except my 300 are 1st gen that do not have Bluetooth.

It seems a small thing to have a setting to turn off auto-off feature so that users can get around this.

I will say that I am partially happy since the introduction of the Alexa skill.  However, any time I want to hear output, the first thing i have to do is give a command to wake up the Bose unit.....everytime it seems since it is usually timed off when I issue my next directive.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the Alexa skill.  Just suggesting the auto-off disable setting.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi bissettb,

Thank you for the suggestion. This is a common feature request, and our engineering teams are certainly aware. If any new information becomes available, we will certainly share here in the community! 

Best regards,

Brian

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 31, 2016

Brian_M, I'm addressing this response to you as you're the voice of Bose in this thread. 

How many years have to pass before your engineers create an update to allow us to turn off the auto off feature? It's very annoying. The Bose Soundtouch 20's can be telneted to disable this feature, but it's still annoying that I have to go through that process or repeat it if they Bose 20 is turned off. I just want my echo dots to be able to use my Bose speakers when I'm not using the bose speakers by themselves. 

Bose is a premier product, it's about time you guys step up and update the features that YOUR customers want. I've stopped building my Bose ecosystem because of this. Once the auto off / disable feature is provided to us as customers, I have no intention to purchase any Bose products in the future. 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi 1sh0t1kill,

Thanks for the post.  The software and engineering teams are always working on  new features, and some will have priorities over others.  I'll send your recommendation up to the software team, but ultimately they are the ones to add different features to the system.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Bose Support

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

Brandon,

I don't know why you guys are so reluctant to give useful work arounds when they are obviously available.  

This link has a solution that has worked for me that someone posted a month ago.  I've asked for it, as others have and we get the canned response that it is being forwarded to developers.

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Speakers/KEEP-SOUNDTOUCH-10-quot-ALWAYS-ON-quot/td-p/82156/...

That post is the very best thing I have ever gotten from this website. I can't thank the author enough.

I work product support for another organization that sells advanced electronic devices that communciate on networks as you do and I understand having limited developer resources and unlimited product requests.

You have to decide what is priority and what is not. Plus most people don't understand that if you add one bell or whistle the new firmware can't be delivered until it has been sufficiently regression tested to make sure you are not adding bugs. Although we usually bundle up a bunch of these low hanging fruit additions to much larger firmware changes so that the regression testing verifies the entire batch of changes.

But even if developers are not going to fix this issue in the firmware/app in the near future there appears to me to be a very good work around. It works for all of my systems.  But I have not tested it with ST10, ST300(which i have two but I don't feel the need to apply it) or 2nd and 3rd generation ST20s and ST30s.  Maybe there are limitations due to hardware/OS differences; but it would be great if you published this work around in a document instead of saying you have passed it along over and over again.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 28, 2018

I can confirm the workaround doesn't work for ST10.

I work for an organisation dealing with technological products and understand unlimited feature requests against limited capacity too! I just don't understand why bose hasn't been able to deliver this low hanging fruit of a feature when clearly the demand has evident. Did not really think Bose would be a company like that.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 3, 2016

I agree...it’s very irritating and inconvenient to keep turning the Soundtouch back on every time I give Alexa a command (after more than 20 minutes).  The Bluetooth cuts out sometimes so I thought using the Aux input would be great...WRONG!  I wish Bose would make it so you can enable or disable the auto turn off after 20 minutes when on Aux.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

Well, if you have a 1st or 2nd generation Soundtouch 20 or Soundtouch 30 you can have that now if you use the terminal command from the post I linked to

It may be that it works with 3rd gen 20s and 30s too, but I don't know if that is true. Actually, I expect it does not.