Highlighted
karpodiem
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 10, 2014

SoundTouch 20 Series II and iTunes Match

Hello,
I'm looking to purchase a SoundTouch 20 Series II provided it meets a very specific use case. I stream all of my music from my library via iTunes Match on my iPhone (using the default iOS music app) that runs iOS 8.1 - the music is _not_ downloaded to the device, the song plays and when the proceeding song begins, the download icon is still next to the previous song; this means that the song was never downloaded to the device.
Will the SoundTouch 20 Series II play the music via Airplay while listening in this manner?
Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
This widget could not be displayed.
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: SoundTouch 20 Series II and iTunes Match

Hi Karpodiem,

The short answer is: Yes, this will work.
More details below:
As long as you are playing from your iPhone via AirPlay, any music that would normally play on the iPhone speaker would go to the SoundTouch 20II instead. When using AirPlay, the exact source your phone gets the msuic from is not important.

The Soundtouch speakers are also capable of playing from a list of specific sources when no phone or computer is attached via the network. These are streaming services such as Pandora, Spotify, etc. -  iTunes match is not on that list, so it will not be available through the SoundTouch app or compatible with the more advanced features.

To sum up and clarify: 

1. iTunes match will work fine through AirPlay while your phone is connected
  2. iTunes match will not be available to play through the SoundTouch app (i.e. without your phone)
  3. Music from iTunes match will not be assignable to the 6 preset buttons on top of the system. 
  4. Playback from iTunes match could only ever be sent to one SoundTouch speaker from the iPhone. Multi-speaker playback will not be possible, even if you had more than one SoundTouch product.

Thank you for your question!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
This widget could not be displayed.
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Hi Karpodiem,

The short answer is: Yes, this will work.
More details below:
As long as you are playing from your iPhone via AirPlay, any music that would normally play on the iPhone speaker would go to the SoundTouch 20II instead. When using AirPlay, the exact source your phone gets the msuic from is not important.

The Soundtouch speakers are also capable of playing from a list of specific sources when no phone or computer is attached via the network. These are streaming services such as Pandora, Spotify, etc. -  iTunes match is not on that list, so it will not be available through the SoundTouch app or compatible with the more advanced features.

To sum up and clarify: 

1. iTunes match will work fine through AirPlay while your phone is connected
  2. iTunes match will not be available to play through the SoundTouch app (i.e. without your phone)
  3. Music from iTunes match will not be assignable to the 6 preset buttons on top of the system. 
  4. Playback from iTunes match could only ever be sent to one SoundTouch speaker from the iPhone. Multi-speaker playback will not be possible, even if you had more than one SoundTouch product.

Thank you for your question!

View solution in original post

karpodiem
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 10, 2014

Excellent! This is exactly the answer I was looking for. I'll be purchasing a SoundTouch 20 Series II in the coming weeks due to this particular feature.
PS - Marketing should really key-in on this feature, this is something that one of your competitors lacks and it took a bit of research for me to find this out. Something along the lines of 'Not all wireless speakers are created equal - if it plays on your iPhone, it plays on a Bose. Period.' ,along with a chart that shows the deficiencies of that competing product. It's a huge differentiating factor.