nppatt
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 26, 2016

SoundTouch 20 and 10 setup / connection issues

Hi,

So I think that I have possibly, finally, snapped with my Bose Soundtouch products. I bought a ST20 early 2016 and ST10 not long after. I have to say, that not long after purchasing I was pretty disappointed with both products. Given that most of the problems seemed to be software / app related, I figured it was best to hold out given the constant promises of app updates and improved usability detailed on this forum. So, for the best part I have been using bluetooth to connect to the speakers to stream music from my favourite apps (Apple Music/Amazon music etc). But recently, I wanted to try and go back and use wifi since I can make better use of Amazon music from within the ST app this way. 

Alas, it's business as usual and I am just fed up of constant updates, being unable to setup the speaker, being unable to find the speaker, being *able* to set up but then losing the speaker. I just give up with the damned things, they are simply too unreliable. The countless times I just want to listen to some music on a whim then get embroiled in a 45 minute turf war trying to reinstall a speaker on the wifi network or wait for yet another "improvement" update to install.

Has anyone one had any luck engaging with Bose regarding the soundtouch devices? Judging by some of the feedback on the forum I am not the only one who has had these issues. Realistically, what can Bose do to make this right for me? I doubt after so much time they will take these back off me but I can't invest any more cash in Bose products given the reliablity issues. I genuinely feel that these products have not lived up to the same value that I put on my Bose QC headphones.. which are superb.

fullsizeoutput_29f2.jpegIMG_0565.png

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
DrJCL
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 18, 2018

Re: SoundTouch 20 and 10 setup / connection issues

I was feeling the same way, but I finally found something that resolved my issue of weird WiFi connectivity.  I set my router to optimize Quality of Service for streaming media.  As soon as I did that, speakers now stay connected, groups don't have drop-outs.  I was pulling my hair out!  Beware, though, that if your router doesn't have this feature (like me Eero wifi mesh) then you will probably have to get a router where it can be configured.  I put the Bose speakers on the Asus router wifi by themselves (which didn't help until the QoS was turned on), and we continue to use the Eero network for all the other wifi.  7 Bose Soundtouch devices (3 Wireless Links and 4 SoundTouch 10 speakers) and seems to be working like a charm now.

Highlighted
Brm932
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 7, 2018

As DrJCL mentioned, many times issues like this are related your home network. There are a lot of variables in your network setup that Bose has no control over. But, they are great at identifying possibilities and steering you towards the best steps to try. The best thing you can do is search Wi-Fi connectivity troubleshooting steps on their support page and report back here with the steps you tried, and what did/didn't work. It's gonna be tough to diagnose if all they have from you is "it's not working, what are you going to do about it?". Let us all know what you've tried!

Highlighted
Blaine
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 14, 2017

Getting my SoundTouch 300 soundbar to work reliably over wifi was a **bleep** nightmare, and I fully acknowledge that the issue might have been my home wifi network.  However, as soon as I installed a Cat6 drop and hardwired it... magic.  It works 95%-99% of the time: open the app, less than 5 seconds of network searching, speaker is immediately found, ready to rock & roll.