Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrispinelo
Participant
Registered since

Jul 9, 2017

SoundTouch 20 and Airplay not getting along

I have a SoundTouch 20 that I bought when they were first introduced. It's been my dining room speaker in a whole house Apple AirPlay setup for years.

Recently, this speaker has developed a frustrating AirPlay problem. There had always been issues where iTunes didn't see the speaker and I'd have to restart ther SoundTouch, but recently, even after I restart it, it will play for a few seconds via AirPlay and stop (sometimes still displaying what's playing via AirPlay and sometimes disappearing from iTunes altogether). I have other AirPlay speakers and Apple TV's that are all streaming AirPlay without issue, and I'm able to stream internet radio and Sirius through the SoundTouch w/o a problem. It just doesn't seem to like AirPlay at the moment.

Steps taken:

I have restarted the SoundTouch, routers, computers, etc. multiple times.

I restored the SoundTouch factory settings. 

I noticed the new "optimize for AirPlay" option and activated it.

The SoundTouch generally shows "good" signal strenth, though occasionally it's showing "fair".

I brought a portable AirPlay speaker (iHome IW3) into the same room and it worked.

As best I can tell, the SoundTouch is running the most recent software version and I'm also running the most current version of iTunes.

My main router is an Airport Extreme (upstairs) with an Airport Express (Second Generation) connected via ethernet downstairs on the opposite side of the house. AirPlay in general is working really well. The music library is played off an iMac connected via WiFi. 

Any ideas on how to fix this?

1 REPLY 1
Michael_F
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 25, 2014

Re: SoundTouch 20 and Airplay not getting along

Hi chrispinelo,

Thanks for letting us know about this issue. Let's see if we can isolate and resolve the issue using some additional troubleshooting steps:

1. Curiously is the AirPort Express configured to broadcast its own wireless network, or is it configured to extend the AirPort Extreme's wireless network? We want to make sure the AirPort Express is in the same broadcast zone as the SoundTouch speaker.
  2. What is the current software version of the speaker?
  3. Can we change the wireless channel on the Express to a static channel such as 1, 6, or 11?
  4. Does this issue occur if you move the SoundTouch 20 closer to the AirPort Extreme?
  5. If you temporarily simplify the network by removing the power from the AirPort Express, then test the SoundTouch 20 over the AirPort Extreme only, does the same issue occur?

Let us know the answers to those questions and we can take it from there! Thanks!