Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drvchacon
Participant
Registered since

Jun 14, 2019

SoundTouch 20 freeze at 0% Installing Update

My SoundTouch 20 (2013) was working just fine. When I tried to update, the bar freezed at %0. Now, if I disconect and reconect the power this is what happens:
1. The white bar charges then dissappear 

2. The white bar reappers

3. A new bar appear with the legend "Insalling Update" but the 0% is not moving forward. 

I´ve tried to do the installation manually whit a USB stick but same thing happens

I really dont want to send my speaker to service since all of this started because of an update. This must be a software issue. Any advice? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Andy_B
Community Manager

Re: SoundTouch 20 freeze at 0% Installing Update

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

Hey Drvchacon and Psederberg,

Thanks for your messages. I'm sorry to hear that you're both experiencing issues updating the firmware for your SoundTouch speakers but would love to help.

To confirm, is the speaker currently connected to the Wi-Fi network? You can identify this by there being a solid white Wi-Fi LED display on the front of the screen. If so, you can attempt to force-update the speaker, without the use of the SoundTouch application. If the Wi-Fi LED is solid white in color, press and hold the "4" and "Vol -" buttons simultaneously, for 10 seconds. You will see a countdown appear, followed by a progress bar to display the progress of the update.

If the Wi-Fi LED is not currently solid white, have you attempted to manually update the speaker, using a USB to Micro-USB cable on a computer? You can do this by following the guide HERE. Please ensure to select the correct SoundTouch speaker model that you have from the firmware download selection. If you have previously attempted this, what exact stage in the update do you reach - does the update page load, are you able to upload any of the files as per the status on the website?

Should you want to explore service options, Psederberg, please reach out directly to support in your region. Click HERE, select your region and use the "Contact Us" feature at the bottom of the page.

I look forward to hearing back from you both.

Kindest,

Andy B - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38
psederberg
Participant
Registered since

Jun 15, 2019

I have the same issue and I have tried many combos of restarting with it without the USB update. All end up sticking at zero 0% when trying to install the update.

What is the process for sending this to service if that ends up being the only option?
Andy_B
Community Manager

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

Hey Drvchacon and Psederberg,

Thanks for your messages. I'm sorry to hear that you're both experiencing issues updating the firmware for your SoundTouch speakers but would love to help.

To confirm, is the speaker currently connected to the Wi-Fi network? You can identify this by there being a solid white Wi-Fi LED display on the front of the screen. If so, you can attempt to force-update the speaker, without the use of the SoundTouch application. If the Wi-Fi LED is solid white in color, press and hold the "4" and "Vol -" buttons simultaneously, for 10 seconds. You will see a countdown appear, followed by a progress bar to display the progress of the update.

If the Wi-Fi LED is not currently solid white, have you attempted to manually update the speaker, using a USB to Micro-USB cable on a computer? You can do this by following the guide HERE. Please ensure to select the correct SoundTouch speaker model that you have from the firmware download selection. If you have previously attempted this, what exact stage in the update do you reach - does the update page load, are you able to upload any of the files as per the status on the website?

Should you want to explore service options, Psederberg, please reach out directly to support in your region. Click HERE, select your region and use the "Contact Us" feature at the bottom of the page.

I look forward to hearing back from you both.

Kindest,

Andy B - Community Support

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.

View solution in original post

drvchacon
Participant
Registered since

Jun 14, 2019

Both my computer and my phone are able to identify the speaker wifi. If I connect the speaker via micro usb to the computer, it will guide me so I can add the speaker to the network. But once this is done, the app fails trying to update the software. Just to be clear, the screen speaker is always showing "Installing Update 0%" and the bar empty. (Photos atached) 

I tried doing de "4" and "Vol -" but nothing happens. Also tried updating via micro usb and url. I get to the point where the page says it´s updating but nothing happens (I'm 100% sure I have the correct firmware)

These are the reasons I don't want the speaker to go to service:
1. It was working just fine (should have never updated) 
2. They charge me the shipping, routine review, and the parts they say I need even if I don't (I'm in México so this is normal)
3. It takes 6 to 8 weeks for them to send me back my speaker. (This is not an imported car we're talking about, it's a regular speaker) 

So, is there another way? 

Thanks, 

IMG_20190617_090735.jpgIMG_20190614_163656.jpgIMG_20190614_163635.jpg

Charlotte_G

Hello drvchacon, 

Thank you for posting in the Bose Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble updating your SoundTouch system. 

I do have another method for you to try to hopefully avoid sending your speaker in for service. 

This is using the Direct IP method. Please follow these steps:

1. On a computer, open an Internet browser, go to www.bose.com/support
  2. Select your product and click the "Manually updating your SoundTouch system" help article link
  3. Use the appropriate download link in the article to obtain the update file for your system
  4. When prompted, click Save to save the Update.stu file to your computer's desktop (Note: If the prompt does not appear, the file may have downloaded automatically. Look for the Update.stu file in the footer or header of the browser window, or in the Downloads folder)
  5. Determine the direct IP address of the system. (Using the SoundTouch app: Select Menu > Settings > About > Select the desired system and copy the IP address from the system info screen. or via the system display by holding "5" and "Volume -" together until "Hold for system information" appears on the display)
  6. Open a browser and type the IP address followed by :17008/update.html (i.e. 192.168.254.18:17008/update.html)
  7. Select Choose File and browse the computer for the Update.stu file saved earlier. 
  8. Select Upload. A progress bar will appear in the browser window and a matching progress bar (or percentage) on the system's display

Let me know if this is successful for you, if not, I will be happy to see how I can help you further.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Neil0423
Participant
Registered since

Jul 24, 2019

Hello Charlotte,

I have the exact same problem. I tried the method as you suggested (Direct IP method) , however it still stuck at 0%.

I also believe that this is just problem with the update. Speaker was working fine before the update. Now  whatever you do as soon as the speaker is powered up ti just shows the installing update screen stuck at 0%, same as the picture sent by drvchacon.

Vicky_W

Hello Neil0423, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I am so sorry that you are having these issues with updating your speaker. I would love to help you to resolve them. To start with I would recommend a factory reset. To do this: 

1. Power on your product.
  2. On the top of your product, press and hold 1 and Volume - buttons for 10 seconds: Hold to restore factory settings appears on the display with a countdown from 10.
  3. Wait while the system resets. Once complete, the Wi-Fi light glows solid amber.

Once you have done this, I would recommend trying the USB update option mentioned here.

If you are still having issues after doing this, please do let me know.

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

drvchacon
Participant
Registered since

Jun 14, 2019

It seems that Bose haven't realized that this is a usual problem that cannot be solved with a Factory Reset. I sent my speaker to service hoping the problem would be solved by updating the software... Instead, they sent me a quotation for $164 USD for replacing the "Slab Assy Soundtouch Wifi Module" 

1. I was happy with my speaker working just fine. This happened just because I thought it would be nice to have the latest software. (I'm 100% sure I did everything by the book)

2. Honestly I feel scammed. I am hoping they return my speaker working withouth the need of replacing the wifi Module, I don't care anymore if I have to use it exclusively with aux cable.

3. Apparently Bose are note capable of take responsible for this failure. So... there's that. 

Please let me know if you send yours to service too and if the diagnosis is the same. 

Cheers, 

Neil0423
Participant
Registered since

Jul 24, 2019

Hi drvchacon,

I totally agree with you. I do not believe that this is a hardware problem. I have no plans of sending it bose for service. I'll let you know if I find any solution to resolve our problem.

Thanks.

Neil0423
Participant
Registered since

Jul 24, 2019

Hi Vicky,

Thanks for the reply. As mentioned in my first post, as soon as the system boots up, I get the installing update 0% message. When it is at that screen it will not accept any command combo like pressing and holding 1 and Volume - buttons for 10 seconds, it will not show restore factory settings on the display with a countdown from 10, it is just stuck on the same installing update screen. I've tried manually updating using the USB and via direct IP - no go.