Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 11, 2017

SoundTouch 20 restricted characters for wifi password

Setting up the ST 20 and when I enter the wifi password it tells me the password contains restricted characters and tells me to reenter the password.

Is there a firmware update that allows for more password characters? I refuse to have to change the wifi password on all my other devices just because one device can't handle a common special character.
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Apr 3, 2016

Re: SoundTouch 20 restricted characters for wifi password

Hi Robertperdue,

As there is no list of restricted characters supplied by Bose your password should work.

But on the other hand, US companies are often so ignorant to the rest of the world that you can't use characters other than on US keyboards. I don't know how often we fail to put the correct name in online forms, password fields or user names if they contain local characters like here in Germany for example the so called umlaute "ÄÖÜ or ß". They are just not recognised or not allowed.

So maybe at least you can provide your country and the for you common special characters and a mod can check with the dev team and then as well provide a list of restricted characters?

Have a good rest sunday

Central

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 11, 2017

The password was not accepted and contained the following three special characters from a US keyboard: @$&
Highlighted
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Apr 3, 2016

That shouldn't be a problem at all .... Hope some of the Bose folks are looking into this post as well.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Robertperdue,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties with getting the Wi-Fi password to work.  Our systems are fully compliant with WPA/WPA2 standards, in that they can accept any ASCII character between the decimal 32 and 126.  Included in those characters are the symbols you are trying to use, so this should work without an issue.  

Is this a password that we can copy and paste into the password field when setting up the Bose system, just in case it is a complicated password that may be typed incorrectly? As well I know you don't want to change your Wi-Fi password, but for testing can we change the password in the router to something different (without symbols, just a-z and 0-9) and see if this works?  

Best Regards,

Brandon

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 11, 2017

The password isn't accepted by the app and I get an error that says the password contains restricted characters. When I take those three special characters out the password is accepted, but of course the SoundTouch can't connect because the password isn't correct anymore. I'm a network engineer by trade and I don't go to forums to post issues until I've tried troubleshooting the problem.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 11, 2017

Let me also add the SoundTouch is the last device I've put on my home network and not the last. Everything else has worked.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 11, 2017

I've discovered the password works if those characters are used individually, but do not if used together in the order I've already given. I haven't tried those characters ($&@) in a different order or spread out in a password, because it takes so long in between efforts when the app accepts the input. The following characters do not work in this order, $&@, that seems to be the problem. If I could post a picture I could show you a picture I look of the app with only $&@ in the input with there or saying there are restricted characters. The app needs an update, I cannot use the ST until the password to my network is allowed.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 11, 2017

"but for testing can we change the password in the router to something different (without symbols, just a-z and 0-9) and see if this works?" The app never has the SoundTouch ever contact the router, because the password is never accepted. If I didn't have a router the password would still give me an error.
I removed all the parts of the password except for the offending characters $&@. The password is accepted with $ or &$, or @&$ but not with $& in that exact order.

In summary:

The app is not accepting this exact input: $&
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi Robert,

Thank you for reporting this. I have escalated this up to our software team. 

Thank you