Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 5, 2017

SoundTouch 30 Series I - AirPlay Mirroring Mysteriously Disappeared?

Since early March 2014 I have owned and thoroughly enjoyed a Bose SoundTouch 30 Series I WiFi speaker device. Throughout my SoundTouch 30 ownership period I have always been able to mirror audio content from my various iOS devices to the WiFi-connected SoundTouch 30 device via AirPlay - that is until recently. Now, mysteriously (magically?) the SoundTouch 30 device no longer appears as an accessible AirPlay device in any of the iOS AirPlay Mirroring menus.

So, today I spent over an hour on the phone with Bose Product Support trying to solve this issue. Unfortunately, no luck!

In the effort to cure this SoundTouch 30 Series I / iOS AirPlay accessibility problem I performed all of the steps that the product support tech suggested to cure the problem:

1) Enable device AirPlay Optimization in Bose app - done.

2) Reset SoundTouch 30 device with AUX button - done.

3) Reboot WiFi router (power down cold boot) - done.

4) Connect iOS devices to same 2.4Ghz WiFi network that SoundTouch 30 device is connected (never had to do this previously - could always run iOS devices on 5.0Ghz WiFi network but still connect via AirPlay to SoundTouch 30 on 2.4Ghz WiFi) - done.

5) Remove SoundTouch 30 device and reinstall as new device - done.

6) Shut down any firewall applications running - done.

7) Connect SoundTouch 30 device to a different WiFi network outside my local WiFi environment to determine if AirPlay available again - it was not.

All iOS devices through which I attempt to connect to the SoundTouch 30 device via AirPlay are running the latest iOS 10.3.2 software release.

So, I am at a loss as to what solution to try to re-established AirPlay functionality on my Bose SoundTouch 30 Series I device - and apparently Bose Product Support has no solution either.

This mysterious development is VERY disappointing to me because the AirPlay functionality is the PRIMARY reason I opted at the time to purchase the (expensive!!) Bose SoundTough 30 Series I device over any other competing device - i.e Sonos, Sony, JBL, Pioneer, etc. Unfortunately, the SoundTouch 30 Series I does not support Bluetooth; so, until I can re-establish AirPlay functionality to the SoundTouch 30 device I am unable to stream any audio content to the SoundTouch device from my iOS devices.

Can anyone in the Bose Community help with this very mysterious issue?

Many thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: SoundTouch 30 Series I - AirPlay Mirroring Mysteriously Disappeared?

Hi JSBatch,

Sorry to hear about the Airplay difficulties you're having.  

This is a tricky one.  Typically with Airplay issues, power cycling the SoundTouch devices and router will solve the issue.  Just to confirm: you're using the same router as before, correct?  Were any firmware updates done to it recently?  What's the Brand/Model of the router?

Are you able to use any other sources like Pandora or Internet Radio?  Does the system show up in the SoundTouch app?

Thanks,

Brandon

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 5, 2017

Hi Brandon -

Thank you for the reply to my post!

Yes, I powered-cycled both the router and the ST30-I device - several times. No change in the AirPlay issue. 

The router in service now is the same router as was in service when AirPlay Mirroring was possible to the ST30-I device - i.e. a Netgear NIghthawk X8 / R8500. There was a firmware update (V1.0.2.86_1.0.75) performed on the router in the past ~30 days but I canot specifically tie the AirPlay failure issue to the router firmware update.

Yes, the ST30-I device does appear in the SoundTouch app and I can stream to the device using the app. That is the work-around that I am using now in the absence of AirPlay availability.

Yes, I can use streaming services like Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Music, iHeart Radio, Internet Radio, etc on the ST30-I device and I can access my iTunes Library from the SoundTouch app (both on PC/Mac and iOS) - but I cannot stream any of these services to the ST30-I device via AirPlay as the device does not show up as an availabler device in the AirPlay Mirroring menu on any iOS device I use.

And, no change to the AirPlay issue caused by connecting the iOS device to the same 2.4Ghz WiFi network as the ST30-I device is connected. The ST30I device still does not appear in the iOS device AirPlay Mirroring menu.

I hope you have more thougths on a possible solution to this AirPlay issue...?

Thank you!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 5, 2017

Hi Brandon -

I just ran the latest Netgear NIghthawk X8 / R8500 router firmware update - V1.02.100_1.0.82. Release date: May 09, 2017.

No change to AirPlay issue we are discussing. AirPlay Mirroring menus in iOS devices still do not see the Bose SoundThouch 30 - Series I device.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi again,

Thanks for the updated information.  

We've released an update for the SoundTouch app and systems, can you download and install the update on your devices?

If this does not solve the issue, we may have to dive into the router settings to investigate a possible settings change, maybe uPnP or IGMP Proxy settings were changed.

Thanks,

Brandon

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 5, 2017

Hi Brandon -

Thanks again for your follow up. All Bose iOS apps and ST30 device firnware updated. AirPlay still unavailable from iOS devices.

Confirmed uPnP is ENABLED in the router config. Any specific port(s) in uPnP settings that need to be enabled for Bose devices?

Confirmed IGMP is ENABLED in router config.

Reset ST30 device after confirming router uPnP & IGMP settings - still no AirPlay access from iOS devices.

Again, none of the router settings have been changed (manually) since the ST30 device was AirPlay accessible on my network - unless a router firmware update modified the router settings? 

Any other guidance you can offer on the router settings is appreciated.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 5, 2017

Hi Brandon -

Thank you for your follow up on this issue.

I confirmed uPnP and IGMP both ENABLED in the router config. Any specific uPnP ports that need to be added/enabled for Bose SoundTouch devices?

I DL'd the ST30-S1 firmware update from this Bose website link and ran the update - https://downloads.bose.com/ced/soundtouch/soundtouch_usb/index.html?l=en#soundtouch_20_30.

The resultng firmware version following the update is 14.0.33.34226.2189603. Same firmware version as prior to the update.

All iOS device & PC SoundTouch apps are updated.

Still no AirPlay access to the ST30-S1 device.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 5, 2017

Hi Brandon -

Thank you for your follow up on this issue.

I confirmed uPnP and IGMP both ENABLED in the router config. Any specific uPnP ports that need to be added/enabled for Bose SoundTouch devices?

I DL'd the ST30-S1 firmware update from this Bose website link and ran the update - https://downloads.bose.com/ced/soundtouch/soundtouch_usb/index.html?l=en#soundtouch_20_30.

The resultng firmware version following the update is 14.0.33.34226.2189603. Same firmware version as prior to the update.

All SoundTouch apps on iOS & PC are updated.

Still no AirPlay access to the ST30-S1 device.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi there,

No additional ports need to be opened or forwarded.  uPnP takes care of that behind the scenes.  

After I wrote this response, we actually paused the rollout of the new software, which is now slated to be released week of July 10th.

I've done some research on the Nighthawk routers and I've found a few other threads with customers that have had airplay issues.  One thing several people recommended was to disable WMM in the router.  Can we give that a shot?

Thanks,

Brandon

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 5, 2017

Hi Brandon -

Thanks for reply and info re the delayed SW update.

I confirmed WMM DISABLED in Netgear Nighthawk R8500 router admin settings. No change to AirPlay availability - still no Bose ST30 device available in iOS AirPlay Mirroring.

Very weird?

Thanks again for the continuing help!