Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2018

SoundTouch 30 ios app and poor sound quality

My soundtouch 30 does not interface properly with the IOS app. The app loses connection constantly and then will not reconnect.  I've removed and readded, rebooted everything, restarted the app.  It will go for hours and refuse to connect and then radomly it just connects.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason.  I must say I am really disapointed in the device.  This is a $500.00 speaker, the app internal design is very good and is far superior to the Alexa app however it won't stay connect, the sound quality when streaming through an Echo is just plain awful, it drops multiple levels of volume and loses most of the dynamic range.  When streaming directly it definitely sounds better but the only way to get much of any bass at all is to have it maxed out on the app.  There is no equalizer to tailor the sound to my taste or to the space (how about adding an EQ to the app?).  I've tried to post these comments in various places and I've no idea if any of this is actually being read by anyone but I truly would return this device if it hadn't been a gift.  Its quite sad, i've been a loyal bose customer through a surround system, a cd wave radio, a sound link mini II, and a sound link color.  I LOVE bose technology and generally find it outstanding.  This device is extraordinarily poor and far below what I have come to expect from Bose.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 31, 2017

Re: SoundTouch 30 ios app and poor sound quality

You mention that the app looses connectivity constantly. Do you mena to the speakers? If so that could be a weak wifi connection? Or do you mean when playing music over Bluetooth from your phone? (as Bluetooth is not done via the app, but a music app or the phone itself).

I have had Bose systems for years and I dont recall ever seeing any EQ settings. I think that forcing a EQ on the speaker would be confusing, if you want to give music more bass, then its generally better to do it at the music source rather than speaker? I.e. I use my Mac and iTunes. It has built in EQ settings so I can improve my music. If i then listened to a talk radio I wouldnt want to keep changing the EQ in the app - as I would forget I have set it.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2018

The app I am taking about is the actual sound touch app. It controls the device. The soundtouch 30 streams directly from a service such as TuneIn or Spotify. There is no opportunity to adjust the bass etc from Spotify and the ST30 only has a single very limited bass slider and frankly the sound quality is sub par especially for Bose. The immediate problem is that the control app only recognizes or finds the device on my network intermittently. (I am not talking about a Bluetooth connection) It's 20 feet from my network box with a direct line of sight. I have the ST30 linked to Alexa. Alexa has no difficulty controlling the box but there are certain things like playing music directly from a local drive that Alexa can't do. (Unless i havent figured out the command) That must be done either by mobile app or computer. When neither the app or computer can find the ST 30 you simply can't use that capability of the device. The app is well designed but for some reason it cannot see my ST30 A majority of the time.
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 31, 2017

Id the SoundTouch App cannot reliably see the speakers on the computer or phone, it sounds like you have a problem either with the ST 30 Wifi Connection or you have an networking problem which is filtering the traffic.

I believe (only from experience), that the SoundTouch Apps use Broadcast to find the speakers. If they are disapearing, maybe the broadcast packets are being dropped by something on your router??

If the ST30 plays internet radio without dropout (as Radio stations are streamed straight from the web) then it does look to be more of a loaded network, traffic filtering on the router, multiple access pounts (such as Powerline) and your phone/computer are connected to different access points to your speaker and the network traffic is being blocked.

If Radio is choppy, then it points more to a networking problem. Either weak Wifi, interference with nearby electical devices or other networks - or as mentioned above some Wifi extenders which are providing a good signal (so phone has full wifi) but has a intermittent or congested back end.

Hopefully that helps point you in the direction and makes sense? If you let me know your network layout (i.e. how many routers, if they are extended, if you have any advanced settings on the router (such as Packet filtering, or multiple IP segments) it might help narrow the problem down.

If you only have one router, internet speed tests are fast from the locations where your speaker is and you dont get any dropouts from the speaker, then Im out of ideas to why the app finds it hard to connect to the ST speaker. Might be worth trying a factory reset and rejoin to the Wifi on the speaker. and making sure there is not alot of activity with other computers/downloads that might be swamping your router.

Wifi and networks are tricky, if you have a strong signal to wifi it doesnt mean you have a fast or stable internet connection, just a connection to the router, so it could be something else going on on your network.