cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bfortino
Participant
Registered since

Oct 13, 2017

SoundTouch 300 - Not enough memory to add additional music services?

Greetings,

I have a Bose SoundTouch 300 and a Acoustimass 300. I have another friend who also owns a SoundTouch 300. He was recently informed that new music services won't be coming to the SoundTouch 300, specifically Google Music and Chromecast support. He was told the SoundTouch 300 does not have the memory to support these services. He is trying to sell his SoundTouch 300 now. I was wondering if someone here has also been told the same thing?

That doesn't make sense to me. This is a 2017 product that I spent nearly $1300 on. I could have purchased a moderately spec'd laptop with 16GB of RAM and a SSD for that price. My friend is misinformed right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: SoundTouch 300 - Not enough memory to add additional music services?

Author Accepted Answer selected by bfortino

Hi bfortino,

Thanks for the post.  There will absolutely be new services coming in the future. When these new services are released, we will update the community.

What your friend might be referring to is a post by Mike A, the SoundTouch Product Manager from a few months ago.  He had stated that specifically Google Music as a source is unlikely as it does use a lot of memory.  

Best,

Brandon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by bfortino

Hi bfortino,

Thanks for the post.  There will absolutely be new services coming in the future. When these new services are released, we will update the community.

What your friend might be referring to is a post by Mike A, the SoundTouch Product Manager from a few months ago.  He had stated that specifically Google Music as a source is unlikely as it does use a lot of memory.  

Best,

Brandon

View solution in original post

bfortino
Participant
Registered since

Oct 13, 2017

Hello Brandon,

Great name (it's mine as well!) - I really appreciate the honesty and transparency in your reply. I've been going through the forums and it definitely appears that the SoundTouch ecosystem is developing faster than before. Support also appears to be improving. I think the SoundTouch team should be proud of the progress you're making. 

Unfortunately it appears that the SoundTouch 300 product manager / designers made a terrible cost cutting decision not to include a reasonable amount of memory in a premium soundbar product. At the end of the day a  $35 Chromecast audio has the memory to support Chromecast or Google Music and a $799 MSRP soundbar does not. 

I can not in good faith recommend any Bose products to my friends or family. I'll be selling my SoundTouch 300 and Acoustimass, I'll replace it with a LG SJ9. A $899 MSRP soundbar that includes a wireless bass speaker and supports Google Music out of the box.