reverber8
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 16, 2017

SoundTouch 300 Soundbar & Sub vs Sonos Playbar & Sub - on the fence

So why should I purchase a SoundTouch 300 Soundbar & Sub over a Sonos Playbar & Sub? I already have two ST20s, a ST10 and a SoundTouch Wireless Link but have a love/hate relationship with them. When my SoundTouch gear works it’s great but frequently it doesn’t and I’ve spent frustrating hours and hours trying to get them all to play together. Updates, resets, unplugs, etc. and not the thing one should have to do when entertaining or when wanting to enjoy listening to some music.

I’m reluctant to pick up another Bose SoundTouch product and add more frustration to my life based on what I’ve seen on this forum regarding the SoundTouch 300. Do I dare move forward with any confidence in Bose or do I sell off my Soundtouch gear and make the jump to Sonos?

Any thoughts from the community here?

5 REPLIES 5
andycpem
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 28, 2017

Re: SoundTouch 300 Soundbar & Sub vs Sonos Playbar & Sub - on the fence

Hi Reverber8,

why not take a look at the Sonos community posts, see who`s happy and who`s not? Might help you make a decision!

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
boseowner250
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 28, 2017

Please go for Sonos.. Just check some posts about Airplay 2 and you will know enough about Bose and their support... I've had Sonos gear before the Bose stuff and they give great support and feedback. 

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@reverber8 wrote:

So why should I purchase a SoundTouch 300 Soundbar & Sub over a Sonos Playbar & Sub? I already have two ST20s, a ST10 and a SoundTouch Wireless Link but have a love/hate relationship with them. When my SoundTouch gear works it’s great but frequently it doesn’t and I’ve spent frustrating hours and hours trying to get them all to play together. Updates, resets, unplugs, etc. and not the thing one should have to do when entertaining or when wanting to enjoy listening to some music.

I’m reluctant to pick up another Bose SoundTouch product and add more frustration to my life based on what I’ve seen on this forum regarding the SoundTouch 300. Do I dare move forward with any confidence in Bose or do I sell off my Soundtouch gear and make the jump to Sonos?

Any thoughts from the community here?

I have made many posts about how happy I have been with my Bose gear. Comprising of a Cinemate 130 with SoundTouch adaptor, 2 ST 30’s and my latest purchase a ST 10. As well two Solo’s , ie earphones and blue tooth speakers.

Over the years I have had very few problems. There was one issue where SoundTouch was causing my Mac cpu to run fast. That was fixed very quickly with an update from Bose. Another issue, the first version of SoundTouch with Airplay didn’t work very well. I tried a few other products and concluded that Airplay 1 seemed to only work well with Apple products.

I purchased the bulk of my gear a few years ago letting go my older Yamaha / Boston Acoustics gear. I wanted to drop all the speakers and wires and reside in the digital music realm. I read a lot of negative comments about Bose products but couldn’t get past how good they sounded, to me at least. Suffice to say I auditioned many products finding that Bose had the best sound, fit and finish.

Most problems have usually been related to my own network. After moving I set up my wifi router next to one of the speakers which was more central in my new house. I kept experiencing dropped signals and alike. With the help of the moderators I figured out the problem, the AirPort Extreme router was pounding down on the speaker wifi. An Ethernet connection fixed the problem. 

I looked and listen very carefully to Sonos products and concluded, as many have, that the sound was not up to par. As well the gear especially the Sound Bar wasn’t the best looking. Sonos has their problems too, check their web site. 

I hate to see see when people talk about selling all their Bose gear because they can’t get Apple Music, or they beleive their Bose gear is not reliable. As far a Apple Misic, my work around was to simply add Airport Express into the mix. Sounds and works great!  Yes Airplay and Apple Music added to the Bose eco system would be nice but I can see ejecting a whole line of gear at great expense, just to get Apple Music.

I can’t speak to Sono’s support but I can say Bose has been first rate. Whenever I have made an inquiry either on this forum or directly I have always been happy with the response. I have been reading about people’s difficulties with the new radio tuner. Bose seems to have been trying very hard to address users concerns. In my case my transition to  Tunein was just fine.

Am I biased, absolutely. My experience with Bose products over the past 10 years has been very good overall. No product is trouble free, but I feel Bose does a good job supporting their products. As such I have no problem recommending to people who are already invested in SoundTouch gear to carry on, buy more if you like the sound and functionality. Don’t throw your money away chasing after another product which may or may not work and sound a good as you hoped.

andycpem
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 28, 2017

I agree with Rickatk! 

My expererience with the soundtouch range for 3 years has been excellent, not perfect, but excellent. My suggestion to look at Sonos community posts was to show that they have pretty much the same problems, if not more! In fact the biggest problem i`ve had was due to a poor quality router and not Bose at all, now i`ve change my isp that problem has disappeared ( BT hub 6) and the system performs better than ever.

welfareboy
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 21, 2017

I also agree with Rickatk & andycpem!

I currently own SoundTouch 300 with sub and rear speakers and series III ST20 & 30 as well as two ST10s

Currently the ST300 is on sale and I have no reservation of adding it to the basement TV.  I have only had a few issues with firmware updates. I now that I do them manually from each unit via the buttons, and have not had any issue again. 

As far as home networks, a good reliable wifi is essential.  Initially when I was using the cable company modem, I had tons of problems with wifi with all my devices even when showing full signal.  Once this was swapped out for a Apple airport extreme (the tower version) all issues have been resolved.