cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MSmithBose
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 23, 2018

SoundTouch 300 connected to a Google Home -- Is Bose App still needed?

Just finding out that the SoundTouch 300 soundbar doesn't support Google Play Music or Google Assistant (both of which I'm highly integrated with).  Here's my workaround though that I'd like confirmation will work.  I have a Shield TV (with chromecast built in) that's connected to the tv, which is then connected to ST300 over hdmi arc.  I then have Google Homes through out my house and can say "Hey google, play X on ShieldTV".  With a setup like this, I believe it should always properly wake up the soundbar and it should also make it so that I pretty much should never have to use the included Bose Remote or the Bose app (other than for initial setup stuff)?  Is that correct?   With this setup I've basically switched it so that my soundtouch is now fully driven by my Google Homes and doesn't need the Bose app or remote, correct?  Or is there something I'm missing that will make this setup not work as idealy as I hoped?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tony_A
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Re: SoundTouch 300 connected to a Google Home -- Is Bose App still needed?

Author Accepted Answer selected by MSmithBose

Hi MSmithBose

Correct, if you do not intend to use the SoundTouch/Bluetooth features of the soundbar, and CEC is working as intended you would not need the remote or app.  The app is beneficial however when updates become available from time to time.  If sound adjustments are needed such as bass increase/decrease or dialog mode, the remote would be required for these changes.  

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Warm Regards,

Tony A

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Joel_D
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello MSmithBose,

Thank you for the questions.

I did some research on your ShieldTV and this is what I found. CEC may not work correctly across all devices since it is not a standardized protocol. So this auto wake function sounds like it will not work. You may have to use the supplied physical remote to turn on the SoundTouch 300 since CEC is not working.

If you have any other questions let us know.

Regards,

Joel - Community Support

MSmithBose
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 23, 2018

Oh interesting.  Thanks for the feedback!  I've owned it for about 2 years now though and have used it with multiple tv's and receivers and the CEC feature has been very rock solid for me.  Both for power on/off and volume control. 

But I guess, I'm more asking...assuming that the CEC functionality works as expected, is it right to assume that there's no reason I should need to use the Bose app or Bose remote if I have a chromecast enabled or google assistant enabled device physically connected to it (possibly with a TV intermediary).  Or are there other reasons why you would need the Bose app/remote on a frequent basis?

Thanks again

Tony_A
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by MSmithBose

Hi MSmithBose

Correct, if you do not intend to use the SoundTouch/Bluetooth features of the soundbar, and CEC is working as intended you would not need the remote or app.  The app is beneficial however when updates become available from time to time.  If sound adjustments are needed such as bass increase/decrease or dialog mode, the remote would be required for these changes.  

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Warm Regards,

Tony A

View solution in original post

MSmithBose
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 23, 2018

Great, thanks! Hopefully Google Assistant and Google Play Music support will get added so this isn't needed 🙂  Moving into a new house at end of August which is when I'll be purchasing.