Re: SoundTouch 300 - odd sound from foot steps

Hi all,

I've spoken with the development team, and they've identified the issue and are working on it, but they cannot give me an exact time.   They say it should be included in either the next update, or the update after that.  Once I have more information, I'll update the forum.

Thanks,

Brandon

melissa030
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2017

Applause.... nearly 5 months and still no fix. Issues are always answered the same way: Dev Team is informed, they are planning a fix, no ETA. 

Brandon, dont you feel ashame sometimes? 

adamski
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 19, 2017

As much as I'd appreciate a solution yesterday, I find that melissa030's comment is unwarranted.

(tl:dr: QA is hard!)

I'm certain Bose is doing all it can to solve our particular issue. However, that does not mean that Bose is devoting 100% (or even 25% or even 1%) of its resources to this issue. You'll notice many other issues being discussed in this forum and elsewhere on the internet, as is the case with any large-scale consumer product corporations.

A limited number of people are available to handle all these things. Also, this is an issue that requires specialized knowledge, so a pretty limited number of people at Bose probably even have the qualifications to work on this. And this is on top of dozens of other tasks, including developing new products we have yet to see, and supporting legacy products.

Also, whenever a possible solution is found, extensive testing is required to make sure this solution is both stable and doesn't interfere negatively with other parts of the hard- and software. I mean, none of us want a fix that makes the sound great in our special case, but then makes it unbearable in all others, and on top interferes with other core functionality. All this testing will take place in specialized sound labs that are probably very complicated to set up, and are also shared with many other development teams testing all kinds of equipment. Developers and sound engineers may have to wait days to get a result.

Then, after the fix is comfirmed working in the lab, the software code has to be matured from "lab code" to "production code", in order for it to be robust enough for the wild. 

All this is to make sure that when a fix is released, it is as close to perfect as possible, in order to avoid further error reports and having to go through the whole deal once again, because some small thing was overlooked.

I'd love to have a fix yesterday, as I said, but I'd rather have a fix that works than one that, well, doesn't. And so would you. Imagine getting the 'quick-and-dirty' fix, only to experience horrible results. Would you be happy with the quick fix, or rather pissed that the fix didn't work as intended?

I work as a software engineer. While it may seem to an outsider that a fix is 'easy', it hardly ever is. Only the people with the fingers in the grit really know the complexity of the system they're working with. And almost 100% of the time, it is wildly different and massively more complicated from what customers imagine it to be.

So give Bose time. They're working hard, and I know that sound quality is a huge priority. Also, @Brandon_M is hardly responsible for any of this. If anything, he's helping us getting the engineers word of our issue. And he is probably tracking several issues and doing his very best to remember to comment in the relevant threads whenever updates worth mentioning occurs. Keep up the good work! 🙂

melissa030
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2017

Still no ETA. @Brandon_M, please get in touch with the engineers again.

I am fed up with those odd sounds, Bose already swapped my ST300.

adamski
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 19, 2017

Hey @Brandon_M

We have received a couple of major firmware updates, but unfortunately this issue is still very much present.

Do you have any news from the engineering department?

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam, 

I'm sorry to hear that this is still ongoing. Can you check the version of software you have on your soundbar by following the procedure HERE? According to the ticket that we escalated to engineering, this should have been resolved in version 15.x. Are you on version 15? Did the symptom change at all for you or has it always been present? If you're already on 15, can you try to unplug the power cable to the soundbar for 30 seconds and re-test to make sure that a reset wouldn't solve it? Please let us know. 

Thank you 

Highlighted
lena
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 7, 2017

Same issue here. Was gone with v15, returned with v16. And i am worried that you really are surprised Brent, i also stated this in other threads you are following.

Hi lena, 

Thank you for clarifying. If this is back in version 16, that's definitely an issue. I'm escalating this up to the software team. 

Kind Regards

Thought
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 6, 2017

I've been running 15.0.20 and its greatly improved.  Very happy. Thank you.

Sen
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 4, 2017

Hi all.

I'm having the same issue.
Crackling sounds in the wireless rear speakers. I'd rather turn them off because it annoys me to much... But turning them off is not the reason why I bought these! What can I do to fix this?

I'm Running the 16.0.12 software.

Regards,
Sen