Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 2, 2017

SoundTouch 300 question

Okay gang, here's the deal. I heard the 300 in a local Best Buy and loved it! I figured it would go great with my Samsung UN75JU7100. Read some reviews here and there, seemed overwhelmingly positive. Then I was told to check this site out and BAM, issue after issue with this thing, especially with Samsung televisions. 

My question to anyone that feels like answering. If I can get past not using the ARC feature until those issues are straightened out, would the 300 still get passing grades just going from HDMI to HDMI between soundbar to tv? As my audio ignorance might imply, I'm far from an audiophile, just someone that wants a soundbar with 4k pass through that doesn't run much more $$ than the SoundTouch 300.

And feel free to tell me to run the other way from the 300, haha.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Re: SoundTouch 300 question

I am probably in the minority here in that my ST 300 works with my 4K Samsung, albeit a different model UN55JU650.  I had some issues getting things up and operational, the instructions not included in packaging are not incredibly helpful but between the manuals and some suggestions from the forum, I was able to get things working.  Also, one call to tech support to get the remote to work with my TV.  Manuals can be found at https://www.soundtouch.com/Manuals

I know lots of folks here have issues and it seems there are some of us that don't.  I suspect that this forum, and many product forums in general, may attract people with issues more so than those who are happy enough with their purchase.  I'm not mentioning this to discount the problems and challenges some of the members here are facing, they are well documented here.  It's just that I think many more will sign up for a forum to get issues resolved and report problems than those who were able to get the system working and this may skew the perceived opinion of the system itself.

If I were in your situation I would certainly listen to a couple of differnt options and determine what sounds best and what best fits your budget.  Assuming Bose is at the top of your list soundwise, as it was mine, then I would say go for it.  You do have a return period just be mindful of what that is.  You can roll the dice and maybe you'll get ARC working.  Worst case scenario you'll have to use the Opitcal cable or end up returning it.  Some of us have been able to get things working and you can always come here to ask questions.

I am happy with my purchase, hopeful that Bose can put the ARC issues behind them and improve upon the apps and continue to develop the ecosystem bringing us more features.  They apps, as they are now, leave a lot to be desired but they are certainly usable.  I didn't give the apps much consideration when I made my purchase and perhaps I should have.  I wish I would have downloaded and at least looked through them first. I jcould not get past the wonderful sound that came from the soundbar.  When you add the sub to it, WOW!   VI speakers and ST 20 are on my radar but I'm going to wait until I see progress before buying further into the ecosystem.  For my purposes, TV and listening to music in the one room it's located in, it is a very enjoyable setup. 

Just my humble opnion. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 2, 2017

Thank you, Jaybo. I really appreciate that reply. I'm not picking up a Soundbar until this weekend, but replies like that definitely help the decision making process.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 10, 2017

I would say to wait till they sort out all issues and once people report all good. you can go ahead.

Though it has good sound, other issues like switching source(Automatically connecting to my laptop wifi while playing source from TV)/wifi (Not sure if any one else facing this but seen recently)/ARC (no sound suddenly unless i restart ST300) are main issues for me.