SoundTouch 300 vs 130

Silent Starter

SoundTouch 300 vs 130

i have couple of queries, pls answer them as brief as you can......

• Pls provide SoundTouch 300 vs SoundTouch 130 productwise differences?
  • Also can i integrate Soundtouch products (20 or 30) with 300 and how can i create a integrated home theater system?
  • how will i integrated xBox and ohther HDMI devices with 300 and my SUHD 4k TV?
15 REPLIES

Re: SoundTouch 300 vs 130

Hi Manu,
The SoundTouch 130 is a closed package including the Soundbar, media center, subwoofer and SoundTouch Wi-Fi adapter. No additional speakers can be added to play surround sound from this system.
The SoundTouch 300 is a stand-alone sound bar. The Acoustimass 300 subwoofer or the Virtually Invisible 300 rear speakers can be added to expand the capabilities of this home theater system.
Both systems will connect to your Wi-Fi and play streaming music via the SoundTouch app. They can both be synced with other SoundTouch models (10, 20, 30, SA-5 etc.) to play those same online music sources throughout the house. 
The SoundTouch 130 has multiple HDMI inputs to connect your xBox and other devices. However these inputs do not support HDCP 2.2, so any 4K Sources will need to connect directly to the UHD TV by HDMI
The SoundTouch 300 Has a single HDMI input as well as a single output to your TV by HDMI. This means it can pass through one HDMI device, or receive Audio back from the TV via HDMI ARC. 
Hope this answers all of your questions!
Silent Starter

Hi George -  Does Soundtouch 300 supports HDCP 2.2 ?  Will it accept a ARC signal from enhanced format (HDMI) from 4k HDR TV ?  I have audio breaking issues (ARC) when I enable the enhanced HDMI format in SONY X93D 2016 model 4kHDR TV..
Also is SoundTouch 300 quality and audio is more powerful than Soundtouch 130 ? I mean which one is superior ? 
regards
Anoop 

Anoop, Sound quality is similar between the two products. However there are some other key differences we will list below
SoundTouch 300:

1. Supports HDCP 2.2 for use with 4k devices (ST130 did not)
  2. Supports HDMI ARC. (The ST130 does this too)
  3. Only has a single HDMI input and output.  (ST 130 has 4 inputs)
  4. Has no included media center or bass module (ST130 does.) 
  5. Can connect with other 300 series ST products such as the AM 300 Subwoofer or the VI300 rear speakers. (ST130 cannot)

Thank you for your question. 
V
Friendly Fanatic

Hi George,
Thanks for the above. 
Can I check that when you state the systems will sound similar, is this just in regards to the soundbar only? From the CEDIA show it sounds like there is an all new acoustimass module and rear wireless speakers which I would assume together would significantly outperform the Soundtouch 130. 
Also if the soundbar does not support the HD Audio formats, can it still handle LPCM 7.1 like the Soundtouch 130?
I am keen to understand the above as I am looking to trade in my current Soundtouch 130 for the new Soundtouch alternatives. 

HI Vik,
Since the ST 300 can potentially be used both with the AM300 subwoofer or with the VI 300 rear speakers, comparing the audio performance to the older ST130 can be a complicated task. The increased adaptability and extra features definitely allow the user to tailor their listening experience as desired. For certain, the availability of rear speakers will make the 300 model the stronger choice for watching movies in surround sound. 
7.1 Formats will be interpreted or downsampled to play on the system wherever possible. An LPCM 7.1 output, for instance, should be no trouble for this new product.
Thank you. 
Silent Starter

Hi George,
I was looking at buying the ST130 but heard that the new model was the ST 300 so am thinking that it would be better to go with that one.  Looking at the differences between the 2 the ST 130 has the Control console and SoundTouch® wireless adapter II but the ST 300 does not. Is this becuase the new ST300 has the wireless adapter built in and doesn't need a separate box for this?  And is the control console not required due to the fact that there is only 1 HDMI connection to your TV, so you are controlling all of the connected devices via the TV rather than the Bose system?  
Sorry if this is a silly, question, but I'm still trying to get my head around the set up of the new system that I will purchase, as I'm also buying a new TV to go with the Bose system.
Thanks
Silent Starter

Hi George,

Does soundtouch 300 support HDR?

Thank You

Wistful Whiz

Hello George,
I own the 130 and find it to be a great system although I am very intregued  by and interested in the new SoundTouch 300.  Sorry George, yet I will ask the 130 vs 300 comparison in a slightly different manner.  Please compare audio and operational quality between the 130 and the 300 equipped with AM300 subwoofer?  Please disregard all other differences between the two systems. In my way of thinking this now a true one to one audio quality comparison.
Silent Starter

Hi George,
I bought the  ST130 just 2 months ago and it hurts to feel outdated. Is there a way I can trade in and purchase 300.
Vik
you mentioned about trade in. where and for how much is the 130 worth. mine is almost brand new not a scratch on it. I cant give away for a price thats almost free.
And opinions, ideas would help a great deal. I just love the 300 just by the looks and it sure does seem like its going to be the best out there.