Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 6, 2017

SoundTouch App Crash

I am getting frequent SoundTouch App crashes.

Should I post the details here?  Or is there someone else that I should contact?

Thank You

28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: SoundTouch App Crash

Hi wkozy,

Sorry to hear about the issues.

What operating system are you on?  Are you getting any error messages?

If you can, please post screenshots 🙂

Best Regards,

Brandon

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 6, 2017

My SoundTouch App crashes ALL the time. The crash usually happens when I'm simply trying to change the volume within the first 20 seconds of opening.

The biggest problem is that my main (first) room is an SA-5 that doesn't have a remote. This SA-5 is hard-wired to my Linksys WRT54G router. If the SoundTouch App is crashing, I can't use this speaker.

The SoundTouch App is loaded onto an iPad 4 with the latest iOS. I have recently factory defaulted the iPad and reloaded the SoundTouch App and have the same problems.

Other apps on the iPad don't crash. The Spotify App works great. The SoundTouch App doesn't crash on my wife's iPhone 6, although it is slow.

I can't have the SoundTouch App on my work phone. All of my SoundTouch speakers are up-to-date.

I suspect that the problem is because I have eight other speakers on my network. The other speakers are connected via Wi-Fi. Regardless, this is unacceptable.

Is this being actively worked on by developers? Is there anything that I can try to mitigate this problem?

Thank You

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi wkozy,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you're having with the SoundTouch App.

Even though you have an older router (WRT54G started manufacture in 2002 and has hardly changed)  with a lot of devices connected, I don't think that is causing the issue here with the SoundTouch App.  If you take your iPad and turn off the Wi-Fi, and open the SoundTouch app, does it still quit out?

How long has this been happening?  Did it begin at a specific time?

Best Regards,

Brandon

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 6, 2017

Thanks for getting back to me.

The app performance has been getting worse as I add more speakers to the network and as newer software is released. Last year I only had four or five speakers on the network and performance was much better. There have also been many updates to the app since then.

The crashes started happening when I added the ninth room this summer. It crashes almost everytime when adding rooms to join my first room (SA-5).

Again, my wife doesn't have these problems with her iPhone 6.

I will try turning off the Wi-Fi and starting the app later today. I will post the results here.

Thank You

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 6, 2017

With the Wi-Fi off, the app opens and then displays the no Wi-Fi error.  It doesn't crash with the Wi-Fi off.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi wkozy,

Thanks for the update.  As soon as you turn the Wi-Fi back on, does the issue immediately come back?

When you did a factory reset on your iPad, was the SoundTouch app the first app you installed on there, or did your device automatically restore all previously installed apps?  I'm wondering if there is a specific application on there that the SoundTouch App isn't playing well with.

Best,

Brandon

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 6, 2017

Yes, the crash is continuing now with the WiFi on.

Yes, the SoundTouch app was the first app installed after the reset.  I think it was crashing even after the initial install.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi again,

This is tough.  Do any of your systems have names with non-standard characters?

Are all of your systems software up to date?  Is your iPad iOS up to date as well?  If you go into Settings>About, can you check the firmware of your iPad?

Once I have this information, I'll escalate this to engineering to see if they have any insight on what's going on here.

Best,

Brandon

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 6, 2017

My SA5 is labeled 'Kitchen/Dining Room'.  I can change that name if you want.

The iPad, speakers, and app are up-to-date to my knowledge.  I will post the versions when I get home from work.

Thanks