Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gcwilson
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 23, 2018

SoundTouch App Update on Android 10

The SoundTouch app and my Soundtouch 10 speaker have been working well for more than 1.5 years.  My SoundTouch app on Android 10 auto updated Sept. 16.  Now when I start the app, it says, "A software update is required for the SoundTouch app.  The app must be updated from the Google Play store."  When I go the the Google Play store, there are no updates available because it has already been updated - it shows as Version 26.0.0 Updated on Sep 16, 2020.

I restarted the phone but that didn't help.  I don't want to uninstall and reinstall the app because I don't want to lose its existing configuration.  Can you help me get it out of the false circular dependency?

I'll note that the speaker and the underling app work fine.  I can get to the play button and start streaming before the obnoxious update required panel covers it.  Could you please do away with the update required panel or at least make it fully bypassable and just push update reminder notifications periodically like most other apps so that lack of an update doesn't cause the app to become unusable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gcwilson
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 23, 2018

Re: SoundTouch App Update on Android 10

Author Accepted Answer selected by gcwilson

I killed and restarted the app.  When I restarted it, it asked me to login to my account.  I reset my password since I couldn't find it because I hadn't used it in so long.  I logged into my account.  The app found my speaker.

Thank you for your help.  The speaker itself sounds great, runs Linux, and I generally like it.  However, the app update notification is flat out broken and the user experience for speaker discovery and configuration leaves a lot to be desired.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jeff_G

Hi gcwilson, 

Thanks for reaching out.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with your SoundTouch app. 

Uninstalling the app will not lose any existing configurations, these are all stored within the account. Once you reinstall the app, just sign back into your account and you should be good to go. 

Please give this a try and if you need any further assistance, please feel free to get back in touch. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
gcwilson
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 23, 2018

Thanks for your quick reply!

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app.  The app indeed lost the Wi-FI configuration so I'm forced to rediscover and reconfigure the speaker.  I'm trying to configure the speaker now.  I placed it in setup mode with the 2/- button combo per the app's instructions.  It found my Wi-FI network and I entered the password.  The speaker is on the network but the app throws a "Mobile Device Can't Find Speaker on Network" message.  The Wi-Fi indicator LED is solid white and the SoundTouch indicator LED is amber.  I can ping the speaker from other machines on my network and via a ping app I have on my phone so I know that both the speaker and the phone really are attached to my network.  I've disabled mobile data on my phone in case that might be interfering with the app but it makes no difference.  I now can't use the speaker.

Mind you this is all to recover from an update message I couldn't bypass from an app that didn't need updating for a configuration that's been working well for >1.5 years 😞

I'll try the process again a couple of times before giving up.  This is very frustrating.

Jeff_G

Hi gcwilson, 

Thanks for getting back in touch! 

It should not have lost any configuration. When reinstalling the app, there should be an option to sign back into the app (it's sometimes not clear as a first run of the app tries to talk you through speaker setup) but what you can do is tap "Sign in to existing account" under the Get Started button, and this will enable you to sign in. Providing the speaker is still connected to your network, you will see the speaker(s) appear on list of available devices you can stream to. 

Mobile data shouldn't have an impact on performance, but I would recommend trying the following. 

1. Factory reset the speaker instead of putting it into setup mode. To do this, press and hold Preset 1 and Vol- together for around 10 seconds. 

2. Check your device's WiFi network settings and make sure it only connects to one network SSID in your home. If you set the speaker up on "SSID A", then you go through setup and your phone automatically jumps to "SSID B" you'll see the message saying the device cannot see the speaker. 

3. For the sake of setup, it's a good idea to make sure the speaker is close to your internet router - of course, you can move it back to it's usual location after. 

Please give this a try and let me know if you have any continued problems. 

Thanks!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
gcwilson
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 23, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by gcwilson

I killed and restarted the app.  When I restarted it, it asked me to login to my account.  I reset my password since I couldn't find it because I hadn't used it in so long.  I logged into my account.  The app found my speaker.

Thank you for your help.  The speaker itself sounds great, runs Linux, and I generally like it.  However, the app update notification is flat out broken and the user experience for speaker discovery and configuration leaves a lot to be desired.

View solution in original post

rafalas.maksimavicius@gmail.com
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 11, 2020

Hello
updated ipad to 14 ipads, ST apps updated but APPS doesn't start. White window with ST logo at the bottom rotates the wheel and has been for 2 hours. I have two ipads and both are the same