cimccrory
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 8, 2018

SoundTouch App & Error 1601

It sounds like I've a common complaint. I've read plenty of stuff in forums, but it seems that having bought a few SoundTouch Links and NAS to bring my existing Bose speakers into the present century, the SoundTouch system fails due to its software. 

I did my reasearch, bought a WD Mycloud NAS drive (supported apparently!), hooked everything up, worked out how to configure it all from a few disparate online resources (c'mon Bose, instructions on how to get a typical simple installation like mine going should be provided as a matter of course!), spent 8 hours moving music onto the drive and twiddling settings with the DNLA service, and I have a system that plays music. Great. Ish.

If I can play music, why can't the ST app find the library when using ANY of the search functions? This is bizarre, and is the main question in my post.

The decision to adopt PLEX was obviously the right decision given its ubiquity. By why not integrate with it fully? The fact that SONOS comes up as a fully integrated option when setting up the WD MyCloud is a big poke in the eye. You see SONOS, get excited, and keep scrolling to find Bose, but then feel disappointed when its not there. The PLEX website is even somewhat mocking with the vacant space that could be occupied by Bose...

A mocking vacancy!A mocking vacancy!

And, the ST app?! It gives the impression that it was programmed by software engineers who ignored all developments in user interfaces, and have created something that's essentially a minimalist, text based list of options. Where's the album art when browsing? Human factors and ergonomics have been completely missed. 

Great hardware; rubbish software. Could do a lot better Bose. 

Anyway, error 1601. Solutions please...

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: SoundTouch App & Error 1601

Hi cimccrory,

Thank you for the post, and sorry to hear about the difficulties you're having.

When are you seeing this 1601 error?  Is it when you attempt to first access the music library, or when you try to play back songs?

Let us know so we can get this resolved for you.

Best,

Brandon - Community Support

**EDIT**  My apologies, I forgot to add that I've sent your feedback about the SoundTouch App to the software team.

Highlighted
cimccrory
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 8, 2018

Hi Brandon

Thanks for looking into this. My system has moved on. We've progressed from error 1601 to 1620 now.

You can see from the 2 screenshots below, that I've got Bowie happily playing away, yet when I go to "Search by Artist," the SoundTouch app says that it can't find the music library.

Screenshot_20180412-202800.pngScreenshot_20180412-202740.png

Any ideas on how to overcome this?

C

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi again,

Thanks for the info.

Do you have any firewalls enabled on your wireless router (that you know of)?  Have you done a power cycle of your wireless router as well?

So just to confirm, this only happens when searching?  Can you try searching for artists, albums, and tracks?  Does it happen on all of them?

You're able to manually look in the directories and play any of your music, correct?

Best,

Brandon

Highlighted
cimccrory
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 8, 2018

Hi Brandon

There is a firewall on my router, but its only to the outside internet. Everything connected within my home inside the firewall should have access all areas.

The routers been powered on and off a few times over the past couple of weeks. 

Yes, this only happens when searching. I can't search for anything (artist, album, etc) with any success. I always get the same error 1621. 

Everything plays fine, if you navigate to the album you want manually.

The search function on PLEX works superfast, and I've been using this to temporarily get round the problem. PLEX has obviously catalogued the music files on my NAS, but it doesn't look like its sharing that information with the SoundTouch app. Is there a way to point it in the right direction?

Chris 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info.  

There's no way to point the SoundTouch app to pull info from a specific DLNA server, as it should do so automatically.

Just to confirm, do you have PLEX installed on your NAS drive or on a computer?

This is a tricky situation and I may have to escalate this for further investigation.  Can you provide the firmware version on the NAS drive?

Best,

Brandon

Highlighted
cimccrory
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 8, 2018

Hi Brandon

Sorry about the late reply. I didn’t receive a notification email that you’d responded.

The information you requested is, yes, PLEX is installed on and running on the Western Digital MyCloud Home Duo NAS drive, and the firmware version is 5.0.1-103.

Chris

Highlighted
cimccrory
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 8, 2018

Highlighted
tonystang2727
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 14, 2018

I have contacted Bose support about my frustrations getting the SoundTouch to play DLNA content. Their "official" response is that they don't support 100% of the DLNA protocol/spec, and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

I have some large libraries that refuse to load on the speakers themselves. I was able to use the Windows app and play the library. It acted really strange, kept flashing, but eventually started playing.

I have 3 SoundTouch speakers. 2 SoundTouch 20, and 1 SoundTouch 30. They don't all behave the same way. Right now one of the devices won't find the DLNA server at all, but the other two devices will. I have to restart the one, and suddenly it will start to see the Plex DLNA server again.

I'm so sad to say my experience hasn't been great. My libary is [Genre][Artist][Album] so I view by folder. I don't think this is the best arrangement for Plex, because the Genre for an artist gets really messed up. For example, I have a lot of Diana Krall albums in Jazz. I also have 1 in Holiday. Plex found Diana Krall in Holiday, so now I can't find her at all in Jazz--only Holiday. But at least viewing music by folder I'm mostly successful navigating my Plex library with the Bose SoundTouch.

Highlighted
cimccrory
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 8, 2018

Hi Tony

I guess that, like me, you've only come on here because the kit didn't work straight out of the box, and after an unreasonable amount of fiddling about, you still can't get it to work properly? I feel your pain, though I'm incensed because I spec'd all the hardware (Wester Digital, SoundLink modules) after researching my planned set up on the Bose site. And it still doesn't work. I thought I was being really clever too planning my installation. I know life's full of shades of grey, but its either DNLA compatible or its not!

Also like you, I find it easier to view by folder, but after a hard day at the office, I find all that unnecessary additional swiping just too much effort to contemplate. So, instead I sit in silence and stare out the window, dreaming of a future utopia when all home music streaming interfaces are 100% PLEX compliant. 

Chris