Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 21, 2015

SoundTouch Music Server - Mac

Is there a way to not have the music server launch when the soundtouch app launches? It consistently pops up in my top 5 or so cpu consumers, whilst doing nothing (I don't use my iTunes library). It only uses maybe 5% or so, and intermittently at that, but it's enough to shorten my battery life. It also takes up unnecissary space on the menu bar, which causes issues under certain circumstances (beyond adding visual clutter, which is also annoying).

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: SoundTouch Music Server - Mac

Hi John,

You can disable the SoundTouch Music Server from starting automatically from within OSX System preferences.  For the steps to add or remove "Login Items" you can see an article on Apple's help site here

(The article specifies OSX Yosemite, but this should work on older versions of the OS also.) 

That method will keep it from opening at startup. Be aware that the SoundTouch music server will still start itself normally when you open the SoundTouch app to control your system. When this happens you can manually close it by CTRL+Clicking on the status bar icon and selecting "Quit SoundTouch Music Server".
Thanks for your question.

Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 21, 2015

I did not ask about disabling it during startup, but I understand you may have included that as a benefit to others. Along that theme, it is not necissary to use "CTRL" when quitting it from the menubar.
Since it appears there is no way to prevent the launch of the app when starting the SoundTouch application, I reccomend that be added as a preference or that it only be added when needed. Also, it would be nice if it didn't drain your laptop battery by using CPU cycles when it isn't needed.
Also, for some reason iTunes now launches when I open the SoundTouch app as well. Is there a way to prevent that?
As a software developer, these issues really make the product feel rough around the edges, something Bose isn't usually known for.
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Hi John, 

Apologies if we misunderstood your question initially. We will try to clarify.

You are correct that there is no way to disable the SoundTouch Music Server from starting along with the desktop app on your computer. The only thing we can suggest here might be to use the Mobile app on an iOS or Android device instead.

If you have an iTunes library added to your SoundTouch account and the music server is opened along with the app, it is normal for itunes to open so a sync can begin immediately. The only way to remove this behavior from the desktop app would be to remove the iTunes Music Library from your account altogether. (EXPLORE > SETTINGS > MUSIC SERVICE > MUSIC LIBRARIES> > REMOVE )

Obviously that step above will remove that playback option from your app, but you mention in your original post that you don't use the library feature.

We do appreciate your feedback on the software. You can submit your suggestion for a change to the preferences on this page
Thank you. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 21, 2015

Thank you for your response.
I do not have a music library added to my account, which is why I was confused as to why iTunes would launch. I was previously experiencing an issue mentioned elsewhere on this forum where the cpu would max out at 100% continuously, and to resolve that I removed my iTunes library from the SoundTouch app.
Is there a way to reset the app entirely and start over? Maybe there is a preferences file or plist corrupted somewhere I could delete.
As the issue regarding a preference to not launch the soundtouch server app does not exist yet on the features page it seems unlikely this will get the hundreds of votes needed to be addressed. Given that I created a script that launches the SoundTouch app and then quits the server app after it has launched. It's kudlgy, but it works, and if appropirate and desired I could post a link to it here.
Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 4, 2015

John,
There is a small (free and rather aged) utility called 'Do Something When' that installs as a Mac preference pane which I use frequently in similar cases.  Admittedly I have not tried this scenario and your mileage will vary.  Basically DSW allows you to set some conditions on what happens as a chain reaction of certain events.
In this example you would set up a workflow that is along the line of:
"When Soundtouch App starts, Quit Soundtouch Server after 10 seconds"   
The result would be that once you launch Soundtouch App, the DSW daemon will wait 10 seconds and then send a quit signal to the server process in effect forcing it to quit.
Again, haven't tested it to work in this scenario but it may be someting for you to consider?
Good luck,
Avi
Disclaimer: I have no ties with Bose or with the DSW software.  Just happen to be a customer of the one and a user of the other.