Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2016

SoundTouch Portable 'no system on network'

My SoundTouch Portable worked fine for about a year, whether operated locally, from one of our iPhones, Amazon Fires or the laptop. For some time though, it cannot be found on the network from any of the devices. I have to reconnect it via the app, but next time I try, it has gone again!  I have now discovered that if I reset the device (hold the AUX for 10 sec's), it immediately reappears on the app. Unfortunately, next time I try it has gone again. Through all of this, the system works fine when being operated locally (using its buttons) although that is only good for playing radio and doesn't allow us to stream Deezer.  The Wi-Fi signal is strong. It is hugely frustrating and until I get a fix for this I have postponed the plan of replacing our other Bose u it's with SoundTouch. Any advice would be gratefully received. 
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: SoundTouch Portable 'no system on network'

Hi RoyBaz,
Let's review what you have told us and look at what kind of solution it points us towards.

• Resetting the speaker resolved the problem temporarily - This means that something that is refreshing after that reset is re-establishing communication with the app. Most likely this is the system getting a fresh IP address from the router after it reboots.
  • The system works fine via the on board buttons and plays music. This tells us that our system is still connected to the network and has internet access. Our issue is only one of communication between that speaker and the device running the app.

We will assume you have also reset the router already since the problem began. In this case we might also suggest setting the router to use a fixed Wi-Fi channel. You can generally do this by logging in to the router's interface and choosing a number under the "channel" section rather than the default "Auto" selection. We generally recommend channel 1 or 11 for this. 
If your setup uses any secondary access points (Extenders, repeaters etc.) to increase the Wi-Fi range, try disabling these temporarily to see if the problem persists. These type of devices can sometimes lead to communication difficulties between devices on different segments of the network.
If the trouble continues please let us know the brand and model # of the router you use so that we can investigate more details. Thank you. 
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2016

Hi
thanks for your response. 
I re-booted the router and everything was fine for 2 or 3 days, then the same problem returned. I've re-booted the router again and all is fine at the time of writing. 
The router is un-branded, other than 'TalkTalk'. It is called 'Super Router' and was supplied December 2014. There is something in the user manual of both a 2.4 and 5 Ghz SSID. 
Regards
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

If the problem returns, we would suggest the following

1. Using the instructions in that manual, Log in to the configuration of your router.
  2. Rename the 5Ghz band to a different network name (SSID). Leave the 2.4Ghz SSID with the same name as before. 
  3. Save the changes and exit. 
  4. This should force both your speakers and your controlling devices (phone computer etc.) onto the same 2.4Ghz band and thus have them maintain connection to the same segment of the network.

Do not add the new 5Ghz SSID to any devices which run the soundTouch app as this could cause them to switch away and lose communication once again.
Thank you.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2016

Hi
thanks for the advice. But before I try it, can you let me know what impact this will have on my home broadband and the other devices which use it?  Will signal strength be affected, or download/upload speeds?  
Apologies for my lack of technical nous. 
Regards
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 2, 2016

What have you got to lose?
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2016

Hi OstrichEmulsion
thanks for your incredibly helpful response!
To answer your question:  I don't know what I've got to lose. That's why I asked.   I was hoping for an informative response. 
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 3, 2016

I have had these same issues since I updated my Iphone 6 to the new IOS10 operating system.  Also Comcast Xfinity sent me a new wireless router to replace my existing one.  Your question is valid as I had to reconnect my wireless printer, both AppleTvs, Ipads, sound bars, etc.  Its a total hassle.  I'm on hold for 15 minutes to BOSE right now to see if I can get this straightened out.  I'll add to my response if I find resolution
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 3, 2016

Ok--my issue may be different.  I wanted to have my Ipad control my BOSE instead of my Iphone.  I have to use bluetooth connection with my iphone and AUX for my Ipad.  The lady at BOSE figured it out immediately!