Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 6, 2017

SoundTouch SA-5 Separate Rooms

Hi, my client bought a SoundTouch SA-5 and whishes to play the same source in two different rooms, but control the volume individually. 
I've read the hole manual and didn't find this option. Is it even possible?

Thank you!! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: SoundTouch SA-5 Separate Rooms

Author Accepted Answer selected by lagartexa

No it's not.

While the SA-5 can power two pairs of speakers it is still designed for one zone.  The choice is either 1 pair of speakers for the best quality sound, or two pairs for bigger room coverage.  In most cases a good pair of 791s will cover a large room.  Whereas if you have a large garden, but also want coverage by the pool, you may have 2 pairs of outdoor speakers attached, and don't mind them using the same volume.

Pretty much all of the SoundTOuch systems are designed as one per zone/room, so if you want different volumes you would need 2x SA-5s.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by lagartexa

No it's not.

While the SA-5 can power two pairs of speakers it is still designed for one zone.  The choice is either 1 pair of speakers for the best quality sound, or two pairs for bigger room coverage.  In most cases a good pair of 791s will cover a large room.  Whereas if you have a large garden, but also want coverage by the pool, you may have 2 pairs of outdoor speakers attached, and don't mind them using the same volume.

Pretty much all of the SoundTOuch systems are designed as one per zone/room, so if you want different volumes you would need 2x SA-5s.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 25, 2014

Hi lagartexa,

Morlock's response would be correct. Although the SA-5 does have the ability to connect two sets of speakers in parallel, both sets of speakers would be tied to a single volume control. Having said that if you own two SA-5 amplifiers, and connect each set of speakers to a different amplifier, this will create two separate zones which will allow you to independently control the volume for each zone.

Let us know if our responses answer your question! Thanks!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 6, 2017

Great! Thank you very much. I just nedeed someome to confirm. 
Thank you again. 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 25, 2014

Hi lagartexa,

Anytime! Feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions!

Thanks!

-Michael

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 15, 2017

Hi, i was about to post a similar question but then I found this post.

It would be great if Bose could consider a software update to at least be able to adjust the volume for each pair, or to activate and de-activate a pair trough the APP.

I'm looking forward to hear back on this. I already have 3 soundtouch sa-5 units and this could save me from buying another one. I was kind of expecting this to work when i bought them.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Simonlandsheer,

Thank you for your post. The SoundTouch SA5 Amplifier was engineered to be used as a single zone that can accommodate up to 4 speakers. Currently, it is not possible to split each pair of speakers into separately controllable zones. I'll certainly pass your suggestion along to our development teams!

Best regards,

Brian

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 15, 2017

Hey Brian, thanks for your reply.

Do you mean there are hardware limits, eg are the pairs sharing a hardware based bridge or is it by design in the software stack?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello Simonlandsheer,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the reasoning is hardware based. The internal hardware was engineered to provide SoundTouch connectivity/communications for one zone only. 

Regards,

Brian

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 15, 2017

Ah ok, thanks for the insight