Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 24, 2018

SoundTouch Software Improvements

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place to discuss improvements to the SoundTouch app. Basically, I've used Sonos for many years, but I decided a year ago to use some of the Bose SoundTouch products as it's easier for guests to control volume, etc. The included remote is very useful.

However, since I have both Sonos at Bose at home, I have found the SoundTouch app a little left behind. I think a few improvements would really improve my satisfaction with the app and I hope the community can assist with their thoughts. 

1) Now playing - For some reason the big 'stop,play' icon in the middle is quite annoying, it's as if the album art is missing, but instead it's down on the left corner so small you can barely see it. I much prefer the Album Art to be in the middle, front and center, much like the Sonos Now Playing screen.

2) Just for You - We should have a few sections here, (Use the listening history to dynamically adjust these sections - Recents, Trending, Recommended (Suggested), (Allow the user to pin music to these sections to build a music library from multiple sources - Albums, Songs, Artists, Playlists, Radio Stations). 

3) Sleep Timer - This is a very useful feature that Sonos hides away in it's desktop app. Would be super useful to have this on the app for late night listening at the bedside on the SoundTouch 10. 

4) Spotify - if I search for something, say Jazz... I can only see four listings under each header, so under albums I can only play one of four. Why am I unable to click through and 'view all/more'? 

5) Spotify - Unable the scrub/fast fwd music. Very annoying, actually surprised it's not there!

6) Internet Radio - At the top we should be able to pin favourate stations, which would also key back into point 2) where they would also be displayed on the Just For You. 

7) Universal Search - We should be able to search all music sources without picking the music source. So for example, if I have Amazon Music, Deezer and Spotify, Searching for Taylor Swift should bring up results from all sources. Sonos does this quite well by the way. 

😎 Finally, Apple Music. I realise you're working on adding additional sources - but Apple Music is right behind Spotify (closely catching up) so it would be critical to try and support this as soon as possible. I suspect most of Bose's customers are Mac users too, making this a very high priority request. 

I do want to say, I think Bose has done an excellent job with the SoundTouch line and I hope to see how it evolves into a mature product someday. 

Hopefully this post will encourage improvements to the app and the community can add their support to see which of the features they'd like to see implemented. 

Thanks for listening. 

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Re: SoundTouch Software Improvements

HI g25

Thanks for posting!  I can certainly add this post as a feature request for you!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 30, 2017

I have a few more (basic) suggestions for added features - and remember in this day and age the digital touchpoint and experience is extremely important and a competitive advantage or hinderance and as a lot of your savvy customers post here on this forum you have treated this app somewhat bad - it needs to get the full attention from you board members and C-level people asap or you risk loosing this battle hard against others and I personally do not want that to happen -  I know it can be done if it is escalated and prioritized;

1. ability to "pair" together 2 or more speakers (I have 4 ST's now and almost always want to play 3 of them at the same time but don't want to use the "Play All"-button as the fourth is a SA-5 with outdoor speakers). My suggestion is atleast make the "Play All"-button configurable and call it something else like "Play All Selected").
  2. Get rid of the Spotify "pauses" between songs - heard that is not there on Sonos - so iy should be doable.
  3. Add Soundcloud etc
  4. Add Google Music etc
  5. Get the ST "discovery" sorted so that I do not have to turn wifi on and off and hassle to get the app to find the ST's. It is actually so annoying I am considering a shift of system. I am embaressed by this on a daily basis.

I support also all of G25's list above and other more technical requests I have read around this forum mainly focusing on my point 5 above.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 20, 2018

Hi jonen23

If your "Play All" is working, your already have what you ask for in #1.

Instead of clicking Play All, just go to the list and click the "+" sign beside the speaker name you what to "pair"

For the rest of your requests, don'tX-hold-breath.png

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 30, 2017

Hi, thanks for quick response!

Yes - I use the +s now, but I would like to circumvent that with like a "Scenario" where the app remembers that multiroom choice with 3 out of 4 speakers instead of me having to add with +s every time. This could alsobe nice from the Apple Watch/iPhone/iPad locked screen widget similar to start a "scenario" directly.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 16, 2017

Aside from the complete unreliability of the app, especially from my iPad, I have a few other gripes:

The graphics are poorly suited for smaller devices, phones especially.  Less white space and a bolder typeface would help us Baby Boomers with deteriorating eyesight.

Also, the volume control reacts sluggishly to inputs, whether using the device's side keys or the on-screen slider.  And this is true on all platforms: Windows, Android and iOS.

But most of all, I wish that the app would just WORK, without having to be rebooted, reset, etc.  It's easily the most disappointing feature in an otherwise excellent product.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 24, 2018

In all honesty I have few issues with the app not working, but I suspect that's because my home WiFi consists of Ruckus AP's, R710's to be exact which are enterprise-class. 

I think the solution to the issue is to allow the Bose SoundTouch devices to communicate over the internet as well as Wifi, meaning even if wifi is lost from the handset the control continues to work via 4G. 

In any case, any improvements are always welcome. 🙂