Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Sep 14, 2017

SoundTouch Wireless Link adapter connection problem

I have a Soundtouch setup comprising of 1 x Soundtouch 10 and 2 x Soundtouch Wireless link Adapters. They all worked fine until I changed my ISP this week – I now have a Sky Q Hub router which is working well throughout my house. I’ve been able to connect the Soundtouch 10 and one of the adapters to the new network, but the second refuses to connect. It also doesn’t follow the expected setup routine suggested by the app. Here is what happens:

1. On the app (on my Android phone), I select Settings.
  2. Add or Reconnect Speaker
  3. I receive a message: ‘Checking for updates’
  4. Next screen: ‘How would you like to connect….?,
  5. I select: WiFi
  6. There is a pause
  7. Message: ‘Your system needs some help getting into setup mode’
  8. I select ‘Continue’
  9. I’m shown a list of Soundtouch units, with pictures and asked to ‘select your speaker’
  10. I select ‘Soundtouch Wireless Link’
  11. I am told to ‘Press & hold Control Button until WiFi indicator blinks once and turns amber (1-8 seconds)’
  12. I do this but the Bluetooth and WiFi lights flash a few times, then start a sequence – Bluetooth/WiFi/Bluetooth for 5 or 6 times, then the WiFi light stays on in dim white. Nothing lights in amber.
  13. I press ‘Continue’ in the app (because there’s nothing else indicated) and I’m presented with the Message at 7 above and it loops around again (and again and again….)

This is driving me mad. I like Bose kit but the operating instructions don’t match the actual procedure and I don’t know how to get past this – any ideas, please?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: SoundTouch Wireless Link adapter connection problem

I beleive after step 11 you are supposed to step out of the app and go to you device settings => Wifi Settings. Connect to SoundTouch device by BT and then go back into the SoundTouch app to press continue.

Essentially you are connecting to SoundTouch by Wifi directly so that you can tell the SoundTouch device which Wifi signal to connect to.  The pause at 6 is trying to detect the SoundTOuch device by BT to skip the above step.  When it works, that's great.  When it doesn't work it takes a few more steps.

That's all I can think of from the description

Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Sep 14, 2017

Re: SoundTouch Wireless Link adapter connection problem

Thanks Morlock. Just before I tried out your suggestion, I tried to link the adapter via my PC instead of using the phone or tablet. The procedure changed this way and I was directed to connect the adapter to the PC with a USB cable. The adapter was in a different room so I unplugged it, brought it close to the PC, plugged it in and connected the USB cable. It appeared to download new drivers and then I was able to connect it to my network. I unpugged it from the PC, moved it back to where it previously was located, plugged it in, connected the speaker plug and voila...works perfectly now. I don't know what changed things but it seems that any future connection problems should be addressed using the PC instead of a mobile device.

I've made a note of your suggestion, Morlock, it might come in handy in the future, thanks again.

I must say....these wireless devices are a bit awkward to use - frequently dropping off the network and ceasing to work...and the system won't sync without me closing Windows Media Player and starting it up. But....I like the Bose sound so I'll persevere for now.

Thanks for helping.