Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjreeves
Participant
Registered since

Nov 26, 2017

SoundTouch® Wireless Link adapter with Solo TV speaker

I have a Soundtouch 30 which I use for my turntable and use an old Solo TV for my tv speaker.

I'm keen to know if I can use the SoundTouch Wireless Link adaptor to be able to group the Solo TV with the SoundTouch 30 when I'm using the turntable.

I would like to continue to run my tv through the Solo TV using the optical cable but was wondering if I can use the audio out from the STWL adaptor to the RCA inputs in the Solo TV to group it with the SoundTouch 30.

If this is possible, can the tv be running at the same time (with no volume)? Or would the tv override the grouping.

Appreciate any advice you can give.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: SoundTouch® Wireless Link adapter with Solo TV speaker

Author Accepted Answer selected by mjreeves

To be honest, I wouldn't want to work with it that way.  Everytime you watch TV, you need to use the SoundTouch app on a phone as well as TV/Bose remote.  Interuptions if you get any wifi issues etc.

It just makes things complicated.  I would prefer unplugging the optical every now and then.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

The Solo is a single input system so there is no way to select alternative inputs.  The optical overides the other inputs.

So it can still be done, but you may have to unplug the optical anytime you want to play SoundTouch.  I don't know if the 3.5mm will work if the optical is plugged in with the TV off (ie no signal coming from the TV).

mjreeves
Participant
Registered since

Nov 26, 2017

Thanks Morlock, that's what I suspected. 

I've checked out a few similar threads and wonder if this option would be workable:

Run audio from TV (RCA) to the STWL aux in (3.5mm) - then run the audio from the STWL (3.5mm) to the Solo TV (RCA).

Assuming this works, if I then grouped the STWL with the ST30 (running the turntable) using the SoundTouch app, would the ST30 grouping override the TV audio playing through the STWL?

Hope this makes sense, thanks again.

Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by mjreeves

To be honest, I wouldn't want to work with it that way.  Everytime you watch TV, you need to use the SoundTouch app on a phone as well as TV/Bose remote.  Interuptions if you get any wifi issues etc.

It just makes things complicated.  I would prefer unplugging the optical every now and then.

View solution in original post

mjreeves
Participant
Registered since

Nov 26, 2017

Hello, I purchased the STWL adaptor and I'm happy with it. I'm running it to my Solo TV speaker via optical cable and the tv runs to the Solo via 3.5mm. I turn the STWL on and off at the wall when I want to use it and just run the tv through the Solo for 99% of the time.

If I upgrade on the Solo, would the new Bose TV speaker allow the tv and the STWL to be plugged in simultaneously? For example, could I run the tv to Bose TV using HDMI (or optical) and run the STWL using 3.5mm (or optical) to the aux in? If the tv is on, can I open the Soundtouch app and play music to override the tv volume?

Or is the new Bose TV speaker also a single input system like the Solo? Appreciate any advice on this. 

Cheers, Martin