Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 5, 2015

SoundTouch Wireless Link adapter

I am not clear on using the SoundTouch® Wireless Link adapter.
I have a Cinemate 120 - no bluetooth - and therefore cannot connect a device to the Cinemate and rebroadcast/grouping using the aux input as that functionality doesn't exist at this point in time.  
1) Does the adapter add bluetooth and therefore rebroadcasing/grouping functionallity to the Cinemate if something is paired to the adaptor (iphone, tablet, Amazon echo etc.) and the adapter is plugged into the aux in jack on the Cinemate?
2) What I am also very unclear on is how the aux input on the adapter would be used. Does it require a non-powered device for input? If a device is plugged into the aux in on the adaptor and the audio out on the adapter is plugged into the Cinemate what happens? What happens to rebroadcasing/grouping.
Thanks
Dan

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 15, 2016

Re: SoundTouch Wireless Link adapter

Hi Daniel the Wireless link adapter  have different ways to be connected  RCA Red and white for analog or 3.5mm and  optical cable  for digital signal..all this 3 Connections are outputs  for any audio device include Bose if you have any of this connections in your cinemate 120 you are ok.  The AUX input is for plug any smart phone or tablet  Direct to the adapter and works when you use the app from bose .....  When you have all set up the next step is download Bose soundtouch app  and you need to create an account with Bose  that app controls your Bose adapter you can choose wifi for radio stations or pandora etc...  Or your Bluetooth connection from your tablet or smart phone  hopefully this information help you good luck 
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 5, 2015

Thanks Jerezanito.
More detail might help:
I have the discussed Cinemate (no bluetooth) and 5 Soundtouch 10's.
None of the devices allow rebroadcasting/grouping via the aux in jack, rather, only bluetooth.
If I understand you correctly, if I connect the Adapter to my Cinemate, instead of using the Cinemate's integrated wireless adaptor, I am instead using the Link Adaptor as the point of communication with the Cinemate. Is that right? And if so what exactly does that do for me? I see no additional functionallity with this hookup. (see below)
I'm also unclear if the Adapter adds bluetooth to my Cinemate. If so how would it be done? Do I pair a device with the Adapter and connect the output on the Adapter to the Cinemate? If so, do I then use the Bose App to connect to the Adapter, and control the device input to the Adaptor through an app that works on the device? If so can I then rebradcast/group the device on the input side of the Bose Adaptor, which ultimately would come out of the Cinemate? I don't think that would work as anything pIugged in the aux in jack on the Cinemate then won't allow the Cinemate to rebroadcast/group. I know this is tricky to put into words. If it helps:
I have an Amazon Echo Dot paired to one of my Soundtouch 10's. I group the other Soundtouch 10's with the one attached to the Echo Dot. I control the output of the Echo Dot (the output comes out the paired Soundtouch 10 and it's group) via voice or the Amazon Alexa app. I could pair any bluetooth device instead of the Echo (say an iphone) and control the music in the group via the paired device using whatever app on the iPhone I want to use. 
I don't understand how since my Cinemate does't have bluetooth and the aux in won't allow rebroadcasting/grouping how I can use the adaptor to allow the Cinemate to be the master in creating a group.
Bottom line: I am trying to use the Adapter with my Cinemate so the Cinemate can rebroadcast/group using the aux in jack on the Cinemate. 
Thanks and let me know
Dan
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your inquiry.  Although we may get it to work, there are some limitations with doing this. If you wanted to integrate the 120 system with the SoundTouch Wireless Link to rebroadcast a signal, the only way to hook it up would be to the headphone jack on the console. The SoundTouch Wireless Link will be able to rebroadcast that signal once AUX rebroadcasting is enabled (we currently don’t have a timeline for this yet).

The drawback that I see with doing this is that it has to be connected to the headphone output of the console thus muting the speakers on your 120. An alternate idea would be to connect whatever source you want to stream directly to the AUX in on the Wireless Link and the Audio Out of the Wireless Link to the analog RCA ins on the 120 console. Doing so would allow you to rebroadcast the signal (once AUX rebroadcast is enabled) and play the audio through your 120. 

I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 5, 2015

Thanks for that Brent.
Since I can currently rebroadcast the Cinemate if it plays pretty much anything in the Soundtouch app I'm fine in that regard. Like you say, if and when aux in rebroadcasing is enabled my options open up. Part of what I am trying to accomplish is to hook my old tape deck and/or turntable to the 120 to rebroadcast as it is an amplifier. Since I can't do that, am I right that I would have to buy a separate amplifier, plug my tape deck/turntable into it and plug the amp into the Soundouch link which I can rebroad? I was hoping not to have to go that route but it's the only one I see as viable since my Cinemate doesn't have bluetooth or aux rebroadcasing.
Let me know and thanks for helping me.
Highlighted
Registered since

Jan 12, 2016

The spec says : 
Inputs and outputs
Audio out (digital optical and analogue)
3.5 mm auxiliary input
Micro-USB port (for setup).
If the Amp has RCA output (my lifestyle system does), it should be possible, in theory, to connect the output from pre-amp to the Link adopter. (The name is confusing and generally mixed up with the Soundtouch adopter).  I am really concerned that my set up is getting too complex with too many adopters, power cords etc. (Lifestyle, Soundtouch 130, Soundtouch 10, 30 & SA-4 for outdoor set up). It is not 'seamless' yet.