Highlighted
Whiteside128
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 25, 2017

SoundTouch/home speaker 500 compatibility

Hi all, quick question. I own 5 SoundTouch 10’s dotted throughout the house and would like a Home speaker 500 for the kitchen. I’m aware that natively they’re not compatible, but if I bought a SoundTouch wireless adapter to plug in I’m assuming that would make it appear on the SoundTouch app? If this is the case, what would the Alexa compatability be through the home speaker to the rest of the SoundTouch’s? Would I be able to control the other SoundTouch 10 speakers as I would be able to do with any other Alexa product? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Re: SoundTouch/home speaker 500 compatibility

Hi Whiteside128,

Thanks for the question!

Yes, you would be able to use Alexa and control the other SoundTouch systems with the Bose Music skill, and if you're located in the US the Bose SoundTouch Control Skill.  If you leave the Home Speaker 500 on AUX with the SoundTouch Wireless Adapter Link connected, this should work without issue.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

Whiteside128
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 25, 2017

Hi Brandon, thanks for the response. I posted the same question on the Bose fb page prior to posting on here and got the response:

Hi Lee,

If you bought a SoundTouch Wireless Link Adapter and plugged it into a Home Speaker 500 via the AUX port, it would indeed appear in the SoundTouch app.

This being said, you would not be able to rebroadcast any source from the Home Speaker 500 to your other SoundTouch 10 speakers, you could only rebroadcast SoundTouch sources, or Bluetooth/Aux sources from your SoundTouch 10 speakers. This means that Alexa would only be available on your Home Speaker 500, when not using the SoundTouch Wireless Link Adapter.

Please note that we have the Bose Alexa Skill (SoundTouch) that allows basic functions to be performed through SoundTouch speakers if you link an Alexa device to them (such as an echo, echo dot...). SoundTouch features cannot be controlled through this skill though.

Thank you for your message.

I was hoping you could clarify.. so i’d be able to see the Home 500 in the SoundTouch app as normal and play all speakers simultaneously as a group with the wireless adaptor? As for Alexa.. I’m getting an echo dot for Christmas and so was planning to use the Alexa skill to work with all speakers. When the above mentions ‘SoundTouch features cannot be controlled through this skill’ which features are they referring to? From the above i’m also a little confused that if I bought the Home 500 would the inbuilt Alexa work differently to a regular dot and not allow me to give voice commands to any speaker but the Home 500? I’m in the UK if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Lee
Community Manager

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the update.

In the SoundTouch app, you should see the SoundTouch Wireless link adapter as a system in the carousel.  You would not be able to change any system settings for the Home Speaker 500 except in the new Bose Music app.  

The Home Speaker 500's Alexa functionality will perform like an Echo Dot when trying to control the SoundTouch speakers.  There are some limitations compared to an Echo product such as changing the wake word or setting routines at the moment for the Home Speaker 500 itself.  

One more thing to note, when setting up the Home Speaker 500's Alexa features in the Bose Music app, it should automatically enable the Bose (not for SoundTouch) skill in the Alexa app so that you can control the Home Speaker 500 through voice command.  

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Whiteside128
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 25, 2017

Hi, i’ve Got myself an echo spot for Christmas so i’m just exploring the Bose functionality now, can Spotify not be played via Alexa to the SoundTouch 10’s? Also i’ve created an ‘all speakers’ group but she keeps telling me ‘I can’t play music on the group yet’.. however I can play on speakers in individual rooms. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Lee
Community Manager

Hi Lee,

Thanks for writing in!

The SoundTouch systems are not able to play Spotify from an Alexa device nor will it group with third party products through Alexa.  I will forward this request to our development team to see if this can be implemented in the future.

Warm Regards,

Tony A