Hi again Hammas,
Upon looking through the logs, the software team found a lot of UPnP failures. These can be caused by UPnP being disabled on the router. Do you know if it is enabled or disabled?
Try reserving IPs for all your speakers... I'm stunned at how well it's caused everything to behave. I've had to do this in the past with randomly disconnecting printers connected by WiFi so I'm not suprised it worked for me. The fact that the struggles appear to be with UPnP also suggest that reserving/assigning static IPs may help (and that's what may have been going on with me when I'd have to close the Android app then reopen occasionally to have all the speakers show back up... which doesn't happen anymore now that I've reserved the addresses).
Bascially what UPnP does is goes out and finds who can connect to who. From what I can guess the Bose App (Android and PC) cache addresses which can change periodically with normal DHCP routing but reserving/assigning IPs stops that process so the speaker will always be at the same address that's cached in the background.
I'm even more suspicious of this because of how my apps used to behave before I locked down the addresses where they'd show old speaker names in the app until it 'found' that particular speaker and updated the name that I'd renamed it a few weeks back. I could sort this by deleting the app data & cache and starting over but like you've experienced that get annoying after a while.
Bottom line, reserving IPs is cheap, easy, and reversible so no reason not to try it. What's going on in the background with all the handshakes between devices has been implicated by plenty of people in these forums but locking down the addresses has solved it for me going on three plus months now. It works for printers, NAS storage, Smart TVs etc... so try it with your speakers.
Google WiFi makes it ridiculously easy and I've attached a Netgear link as well. You'll be able to figure out what to search for if you have some other router (sorry I didn't read all the threads).
Thanks for checking that Hammas.
Thank you for chiming in Beachview! Hammas, can you try assigning your speakers IP addresses in your router via DHCP reservation?
If you/Bose engineering team go back to many of the threads about how the speakers stop passing SSDP messages after several days you'll be a lot closer to solving this for everybody. SSDP is the heartbeat of UPnP and if that's the core of how the apps communicate then you'll need to tighten up how to keep SSDP alive or strongly recommend static IPs in your manuals to minimize the reliance on UPnP.
Another oditiy that I recall is that my PC and Android apps seemed to behave much better when I only had a couple speakers. The dropping off seemed to start around five speakers and got worse as I added more. Again, I gave up on who was pinging who at the packet level a long time ago but if I recall there was a lot of multicast and unicast messaging passed via UDP which does not require confirmation of receipt, no corrupt packet checking or resending, etc etc... this makes the communications vulnerable as the network enlarges. I, and plenty of the folks having problems, have large networks and lots of speakers... the UDP aspects of UPnP may be struggling in unanticipated ways... blah blah blah. Your engineers should be able to get a handle on this if they test under conditions like four Google WiFi pucks and a plethora of speakers.
Hammas, ignore all that techno jibber jabber... I'm just trying to help these Bose folks so folks like us have a true plug-n-play experience 😉
Sorry for late reply. I've been traveling the past two weeks.
Yes I did this a few weeks ago. I did however just before I left on my trip change the DHCP range to start at 10 instead of 2 and used the range for the speakers. I don't know if this made the trick or if it was the new software that I installed this morning but it's been working flawlessly from my phone all day. But I won't call it just yet. I will wait a few weeks and see if it works better.
I'll get back to you.
That's great to hear! Definitely let us know if you have any further questions!
It's been working much better this past month since I put them all on static IPs outside of the DHCP range. However it's not 100% this weekend I've had problems connecting to two of the speakers so the issue is still present. The difference now is that pulling the plug and reconnecting it to power sorts the issue instantly.
So I would say we can call this one solved, eventhough Bose dev team still has some work to do.
Feb 26, 2019
Thank you for providing us with the update. I'm pleased to hear that it has resolved most of the issue for you.
Leon_C - Community Support