Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 15, 2017

Soundbar ST300 top plate shatters!

Woke up to find the Bose soundbar top glass (?) plate had completely shattered into hundreds of tiny pieces. Seems the pressure somehow created in the device casused the shattering which sent glass shards in all directions, as far a meter away from where the device is.  Although it still works, the edges are all very sharp as about 3 -5 cms of the edges all crumbled off.

We've had it less than 2 years, and it has always been in the same place, on the mantle under the wall mounted TV.  There has been no change to air temperature, any heat source etc.

IMG_2179.JPGIMG_2180.JPGIMG_2181.JPG Totally bizzare happening. Is this covered under warranty? Has this ever happend to any device before?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 7, 2017

Re: Soundbar ST300 top plate shatters!

It can happen to tempered glass:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_glass_breakage

Though it should be very very rare.

Not sure if this is covered by warranty, but i'd say it was a faulty glass plate. I dont even know if any insurance whould pay the damage will be hard to prove unless an expert can prove that it was not your fault.

Give it a try and call your local bose support hotline.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Soundbar ST300 top plate shatters!

Hi Jeannette, 

I'm sorry to hear that this happened! We would definitely like the opportunity to discuss this further and determine a resolution for you. Please contact your regional Bose Technical Support Team directly by phone. You can find your region's contact information here

Thank you,

Brian