Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
broadbill
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 2, 2017

Re: Sounddock Series II and Echo Dot-Sound, Bluetooth issues

Search for "30 pin bluetooth adapter for Bose Sounddock" on Amazon will get you any number of hits.  I don't see the exact one I own listed.  They all seem to be the same thing.

Chillii
Participant
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

Avoiding the SoundDock II 20 minute power off with Amazon Echo Dot (Alexa).
My setup: Amazon Echo Dot, Bose SoundDock II, Aftermarket Bluetooth 30 pin iPod dock adapter. I checked that the £5 Aftermarket Bluetooth adapter works with my Bose model before purchase. Slot it on, pair Alexa with the adapter via the mobile app, and viola - no 20 minute power off with the SoundDock, cheapest version of Alexa playing through a quality speaker, optional 3.5mm jack aux in on the SoundDock for other sources, and the SoundDock works with our older version of the iPod. Alexa and quality sound on a budget. No problems so far, but Alexa needs to be in range of the Bluetooth adapter.
Brian_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Chillii,

This is a great alternate solution! Thank you for sharing this!

Regards,

Brian - Bose Support

VP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Sounds great for 30pin docks but still need a solution for all our soundtouch 10,20&30’s. Bose?
Chillii
Participant
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

Ah yes, you could always send me samples of these and I can work on it! Christmas is the time of goodwill, and miracles 🙂
Lelani816
Participant
Registered since

Dec 27, 2017

What is the brand of the BT adapter? I just got an echo dot and would like to connect to my bose sound dock.
Chillii
Participant
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

From eBay. No soundock shutdown. We have had 2 incidents of music playing spontaneously in the morning. So I set the sleep function on the Echo Dot until after our children are up. From what I have read I reckon that either the sleep function or loss of bluetooth connection and reconnection causes Alexa to play the last record of music played. I will be pursuing it with amazon if it happens again. No further problems so far. Link as follows:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253258441536
deebedrock
Participant
Registered since

Jan 3, 2019

Alexa and Soundtouch 20

After much anticipation I finally got a Soundtouch 20 for Christmas.  I currently use Echo dot's for multi room audio and I was looking for a new external speaker for one of my dots. I had heard people say the Alexa skill wasn't up to much (in Europe at any rate, (UK store)). However its even worse than I thought. When I first got the Soundtouch I was very pleased with the Spotify integration - I liked the fact that the display screen showed what was playing.  The presets work great as well. Then I enabled the Alexa skill.  I was very surprised to see the Alexa skill doesn't support playing on Spotify even though the device itself does (very strange). I know to get Echo Dot multi room going I would have need to connect via AUX but it would be nice that for single room I could use the Alexa integration.  Anyway not to worry as I was planning on connecting it to my echo dot anyway with an AUX cable.  It thought the Alexa skill would be at least handy for turning the device on and off (given its connected to a dot via a cable). However then I discovered that if you connect to the device with AUX or Bluetooh it will mute the speaker when you ask Alexa something. What is the point in that!!  A search of the forum revealed it was the Base skill enabled in Alexa that was causing the issue.  So I disabled the skill and now it doesn't mute. 

To me it seems the Alexa integration is pretty useless and pointless - at least for a Spotify user. 

P.S. I was able to disable the AUX timeout (via another forum post) so now the device doesn't timeout. I guess that means its using full power all time - you can hear a small hiss coming from the speakers when nothing is playing and there is an AUX cable connected. Given I'm out of the house a bit I'm not sure how energy efficent that is. That's why I thought having a routine in Alexa to turn it on would be a great.

deebedrock
Participant
Registered since

Jan 3, 2019

Re: Alexa and Soundtouch 20

I don't see what my earlier post was moved under an old sounddock bluetooth post? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.  My post was relating to soundtouch speaker and the alexa bose skill. Now its buried on a title that is not relevant. 

I did find older alexa skill replated posts but I couldn't post on them as they were in the archive. 

Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Alexa and Soundtouch 20

Hi deebedrock,

Thanks for the post.

When we add Alexa integration for Routines and Alexa grouping, we will notify the community.

I'm not sure of the power consumption when the system is turned on but not playing, but I believe it is fairly low.  

Best,

Brandon - Community Support