Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 2, 2017

Sounddock Series II and Echo Dot-Sound, Bluetooth issues

We are currently using our Amazon Echo Dot with our Bose Sounddock Series II.  It is connected via a 3.5mm AUX cable.  Works fine with one wrinkle:  If the system has not been used in awhile (e.g. overnight, for a few hours, etc.), the volume will be very low and certainly not at the same level as when we last used it. We usually have to crank up the volume to hear Alexa or what she is playing.

Another option here is to use a Bluetooth adapter for the bose and connect it to the Echo Dot wirelessly.  We have such an adapter and we know the start up volume doesn't seem to be an issue (good).  The issue we run into with the adapter is we need to constantly unplug/plug the BT adapter and/or unplug/plug in the Bose to get the BT connected.  Like the volume, is seems that BT connectivity is also lost after a period of inactivity. 

I understand the Bose systems have an auto-off feature, which can be disabled on some models.  Is there some way to disable auto-off on the Sounddock Series II?  Any other ideas on what is happening would be very much appreciated!  Thank you.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 2, 2017

Re: Sounddock Series II and Echo Dot-Sound, Bluetooth issues

Author Accepted Answer selected by broadbill

Hello Ryan;

Thanks for the suggestions.

1.  This morning I tried telling Alexa to play NPR news update at volume 10 and it was still too low to  hear, requiring me to hold my finger on the + volume button.  So it appears that the BOSE circuitry is causing the unit to be essentially muted after a period of inactivity, at least with sources connected via AUX input.

2.  We are using an after-market BlueTooth adapter and the plug/unplug thing is a known issue with the product (Amazon review).  I looked at the Bose BT adapter and noticed it had its own power input, I wonder if that would allow the BT connection to persist as it would not be auto-powered down by the main unit.

I'll try going BlueTooth this weekend and see how it reacts.. thanks!

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

There are two different problems here and we can provide some information for resolving each one to find a setup that works for you. 

1. If the volume level is getting lower after a period of inactivity only with the line output wired connection, the easiest fix would be commanding Alexa to a specific volume simply by saying "Alex, set volume to (number)". Her volume range goes from one to ten. You can also tell her to simply increase the volume as well. 

2. The Bluetooth adapter shouldn't have to be unplugged to establish a pairing with the Echo Dot. Is it the Bose Bluetooth audio adapter? If so, you should just have to tap it and it'll automatically look for previously paired devices. You can also clear the pairing list on our adapter if you press and hold the Bluetooth button for approximately 10 seconds. If it is a non-Bose adapter, it should still work similarly and would be worth confirming with the manufacturer on how to clear its pairing list. 

One other helpful hint with Bluetooth: It helps to turn off Bluetooth on your phone and/or tablet when not in use. The adapter may be pairing to another device inadvertently. In addition, leaving Bluetooth on when not in use will decrease battery life on a mobile device. 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 2, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by broadbill

Hello Ryan;

Thanks for the suggestions.

1.  This morning I tried telling Alexa to play NPR news update at volume 10 and it was still too low to  hear, requiring me to hold my finger on the + volume button.  So it appears that the BOSE circuitry is causing the unit to be essentially muted after a period of inactivity, at least with sources connected via AUX input.

2.  We are using an after-market BlueTooth adapter and the plug/unplug thing is a known issue with the product (Amazon review).  I looked at the Bose BT adapter and noticed it had its own power input, I wonder if that would allow the BT connection to persist as it would not be auto-powered down by the main unit.

I'll try going BlueTooth this weekend and see how it reacts.. thanks!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 2, 2017

We've been using the Echo Dot with the Sounddock Series II via BT (aftermarket adapter available from Amazon) and have not had any volume or disconnect issues since going this route (4-5 days). Looks like this is the optimal setup, instead of the AUX cord.  Thank for the help, I hope this thread helps others having this problem...

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

We are glad to hear that. Always let us know if you have any issues in the future and we'll be happy to help. 

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Which amazon Bluetooth adapter are you using exactly & did you hook it up to your echo or bose soundtouch? Thanks
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 2, 2017

An older version of this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WNR13U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T1_QcQnzbR30703G

It connects to the old IPOD connection on the Bose SoundDock (no idea if this is the correct one for a SoundTouch).  The Echo Dot then connects via BlueTooth.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 13, 2017

I have the exact same issue descibed in #1 using Aux cable and Echo Dot. Did you ever get a solution from Bose? Purchasing in BT adapter isn't an acceptable solution in my opinion. 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 2, 2017

I'm sorry you aren't satisfied with the solution, but this series of Sounddock is now several years old and pre-dates the Echo dot and maybe even the bluetooth standard...I consider ANY sort of functionality with more modern componets a win, frankly.

The primary functionality of this Sounddock is to dock/play audio from iPods with the early 30-pin connector.  iPods are long gone at this point, as are this antiquated connector they used.  The Aux-in port on thd Sounddock is for a 3.5mm headphone jack, which provides mediocre sound quality at best.   I'm not surprised it didn't work here either. 

All I know is the best performance from this equipment is to use the BT adapter.  The fact that Bose makes such an adapter is a testament to the Bose brand and how far they are willing to support legacy equipment.  I'm blown away there is an aftermarket part available at all.  

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 9, 2017

can you please provide a link to the adapter you bought and are using.  I'm having this problem too. It's very fustrating.