Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 9, 2016

Soundlink 520 5.1

HI, I can no t get 5.1 from chromecast neither xbox.
Both are connected directly to the soundlink via HDMI.
I also tried to connect the xbox via digital input, setting the input, but it also doesnt work.
Whats happening? It doesnt have 5.1?
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: Soundlink 520 5.1

Hi JpuigUy,
The details of your issue are unclear from what you posted, so can you please clarify:

• "520" is a model number that we have only produced in the Cinemate and SoundTouch families. Is your system a Soundtouch 520 rather than SoundLink?
  • Are these two sources (Xbox and Chromecast) unable to play any sound at all through your system, or are they simply coming through in a 2.1 or 2.0 format? 
  • Do sources other than the Xbox and Chromecast play normally? 
  • Were you complete the AdaptIQ audio calibration successfully on the system?

Let us know so that we can help you troubleshoot further.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 9, 2016

Hi George, thanks for your reply. Here are my answers:

• "520" is a model number that we have only produced in the Cinemate and SoundTouch families. Is your system a Soundtouch520 rather than SoundLink?
    • Yes my mistake, the model is SoundTouch520.

• Are these two sources (Xbox and Chromecast) unable to play any sound at all through your system, or are they simply coming through in a 2.1 or 2.0 format?
    • They are simply coming though 2.1 or 2.0. When I change settings in Xbox in a dvd from 2.0 to 5.1 there is no change in the Bose system, it keeps the same sound.

• Do sources other than the Xbox and Chromecast play normally? 
    • Radio and spotify work the same, 2.1 or 2.0.

• Were you complete the AdaptIQ audio calibration successfully on the system?
    • I did complete the AdaptIQ successfully.

Please let me know if I can provide more information.
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Thanks for the further context on this.
The format label on the front of the Cinemate system is just an indicator of what type of sound the Bose system is receiving from your device. That is, if it displays "2.1", that is the only type of sound sent from your device, and no internal settings on your Bose system can adjust this.  Any changes to this will need to be made in the audio output menu of that device (in Audio settings for your xbox or chromcast.) to specify what format sound will be sent as.
If possible select a Dolby Digital or DTS format of 5.1 output on your source devices. While the cinemate should be able to handle 5.1 uncompressed (PCM) sound as well, it is not the preferred format. 
Note also that even sources which have 5.1 sound enabled and selected internally will only actually send this surround sound signal when playing content which is specifically recorded in 5.1. For instance the menu and most streaming content from the chromcast, will be stereo material which will play in a 2-channel format. Only movies and similar media which were specifically recorded in a 5.1 format will show this mid playback. (This should work with your DVD on the right settings if nothing else)
Hope this helps you troubleshoot further!